Ignoring routing updates based on tag value

Dear group,

I am trying to configure Cisco IOS so as to ignore updates received through a particular routing process based on the tag they carry. So far, I found out about the distribute-list command used in router configuration mode, e.g.:

router ospf 100 distribute-list route-map foo in ! route-map foo deny 10 match tag 42 !

The above commands, in my understanding, ignore all routing updates received via OSPF instance 100 carrying a tag with value 42. However, the documentation for IOS release 12.4T says that the route-map clause of the distribute-list command is only available for the OSPF and EIGRP routing protocols.

Do you know of any way to filter updates based on the tag value in routing protocols other than these?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards, Tiago

Reply to
charset
Loading thread data ...

Cisco supports route tagging for most IGP's

BGP uses communities to mark and to classify routes see Application of BGP Communities

formatting link
for IS-IS see
formatting link
for RIP IPv6 see
formatting link

for OSPF we should be more precise in describing the feature - a route map can be used to prevent OSPF routes from being added to the routing table. This filtering happens at the moment when OSPF is installing the route in the routing table. So the route is "blocked" only on the router that has the filtering configured Received LSA's are still added to the OSPF database and LSA flooding continues as normal.

Reply to
Merv

This is entirely correct. Additionally when routes are redistributed between routing protocols, including OSPF, the route is blocked from all routers participating in the particular "routing domain".

Reply to
Bod43

[snip]

see

formatting link
for RIP IPv6 see
formatting link
The documentation does indeed say how to tag IS-IS and RIPv6 routes -- but offers no solution for the problem of ignoring routes carrying a specific tag, which is what I want to do. Apparently the only place where tags can be used to control router behavior is in redistribution.

Yes. Preventing the route from being added to the routing table is enough for my purposes.

Best regards, Tiago

Reply to
charset

your problem may be the type of routes.

OSPF relies on all routers in an area having identical LSDB contents - the protocol breaks if not. This affects "internal" OSPF routes.

external routes are those carried that came from other sources and those dont have the same restrictions.

So all the filters can do is affect what gets translated into an active rouete - see the other posts.

With OSPF it is much simpler to filter the routes at source and stop them getting into the OSPF process in the 1st place.

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.