Extending range of wireless network

Hi all

Curious on opinions here on the best way to extend the range on a 802.11b network. Ive got a lill Linksys befws11s4 802.11b router/AP. Ive already fitted high gain antennas to the AP. My signal is good upto the top floor but this is where the signal starts getting really weak. Ive tried a D-Link DWL-800AP+ range extender which works fine but conflicts with alot of the wireless network cards. The only cards it seems to co-operate with are the LinkSys cards, stuff like whats in my fiance's PCLAPTOPS laptop has a nervous breakdown when the range extender is plugged in.

I was wondering would fitting high gain antennas to the PC's upstairs be the answer?, I dont see many solutions from Linksys as far as 802.11b is concerned. They have a few boosters but from what Ive read they dont work.

Any suggestions would be appreicated. Thanx

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon Botha
Loading thread data ...

Linksys makes a great signal booster WSB24

formatting link
that I have averaged about twice the range...it only works on 80211b, so this is exactly what you are looking for. It also stacks up real nice with your Linksys wireless access point or wireless router. The thing that really makes it nice to use, is that Linksys also makes a wall bracket, so you can mount it on a wall too SM01
formatting link
this is why I have been using Linksys products. One note of caution...I have had

100% failure rate on Linksys wireless/router combinations units (single unit)...this needs some explanation...if you plan to use a print server in your network and you plan to use WEP encryption, you will NOT get internet, network printing and file sharing to work all at the same time! I did have 100% success rate with Linksys' BEFSX41 firewall/ router and WAP11 access point to work together with a print server and WEP encryption.

I have been working with HotBrick products, did not have any better success...

Reply to
Anonymous

mmmm thanx for the info

Ive read about that very booster online but the comments posted by the person reviewing the booster was not at all good, infact the sites said the the signal was infact worse with the booster on.

I will however give it a try, I have no print servers, all i need is the AP with WEP

Thanx

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon Botha

Something is wrong with that person then...I used to build and install networks for the SOHO market in the Los Angeles area (Manhattan Beach) and the houses get very large there. I have found that if there is any concrete or steel between the wireless access point and the client computer, then I don't care what kind of a booster you have, you won't get a signal....bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms are the worst...fire places and the computer case itself too shields the signal. I have found that I got on average twice the range with that booster...I have installed about 20 of them in all. There is another company that makes antennas...I don't recall the retailer right now...but I have installed that booster and a directional antenna and my customer got to use his laptop half way down the beach with my installation...what a life!

Reply to
Anonymous

:) Many thanx for the replies, I take your word on this product. I personally like D-link, but the lill Linksys products my fiance purchased seem good, Im quite happy with them. I'll get my hands on one of these boosters you suggested and see what happens.

Once again, many many thanx for the advice

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon Botha

no problem

formatting link

Reply to
Anonymous

Ive just contacted my Supplier here in Salt Lake, he had come back to me saying that he cant seem to find any of these products, that either the WSB24 is to new, not for US market or discontinued. My searches online make it appear to be discontinued.

He is still trying to get me one however.

Thanx

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon Botha

try this

formatting link

Reply to
Anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.