Aironet 1200 causing BSOD in XP clients!

I have a problem with all my Cisco 1200's (they are currently running

12.3-7.JA1). I have been using a single SSID for years on a single VLAN (so no VLAN's defined) with PEAP authentication, WPA and TKIP for my internal wireless network. This authenticates against the Cisco ACS Radius server. All works well.

Just recently, I enabled a guest wireless access SSID on the same

1200's, created a second VLAN for it and made it OPEN with no authentication. All appears to work well except....

Several of my IBM Thinkpad and HP laptops get a BSOD (Blue screen of death) in Windows XP when this is enabled. The error is "IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL" on the BSOD, which is commonly a driver conflict. However, there never has been a conflict for years. If they try to connect to the guest SSID, it will blue screen. They all have the Intel Pro wireless 2100/B (Centinro) NIC in these laptops, so I am not sure if that matters. It happened so far to 18 laptops when they rebooted the next morning after my AP changes! There were a couple that did NOT exhibit this problem. I'm trying to determine if its a later driver revision that fixes it.

However, even if a later driver does work, it doesn't explain why an Open/No encryption SSID being broadcast from an access-point would cause any laptop to BSOD. I can connect these laptops just fine to any old Linksys, Netgear, or whatever they have in hotels, airports and bookstores without an issue. Most of those are unencrypted networks too. Does anyone know if Cisco is aware of this problem? Is there a fix? It's very reproducable, so surely somebody must have seen it before.

My only thoughts about what could be different between a Cisco broadcasting an SSID versus some generic AP, is that it has two SSID's coming from the same wireless MAC address? Could that matter? Perhaps the Intel wireless drivers are touchy in that regard? I don't know...

-Bob

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

Found the solution to my own problem. It's a bug in the Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 3B drivers. But even weirder, it manifests itself only when using the word "guest" somewhere in your SSID on the Aironet!! Go figure. I changed it to something else, and the BSOD's stop. Updating the wireless driver also fixes it too.

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.