Cisco 1760, Advanced Security, and VPN?

Can a Cisco VPN Client version 4.8.00.0440 establish a VPN connection to a Cisco 1760 with an IOS Image of c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.

123-13.bin?

I have inherited a Cisco 1760 with an IOS image of c1700-advsecurityk9- mz.123-13.bin from a remote site. I'm a CCNA, but frankly I have not done that much router configuration work. But, if I'm willing to take the time to dig through the documentation can a Windows client running the Cisco VPN software client establish a VPN connection to this router?

Cisco's Docs say that Advance Security includes "VPN". Am I in the right neighborhood?

Within reason money is not a huge issue. (My time is worth a lot of money). Would I be better off buying a new Cisco device if ALL I need is a VPN connection point? If so, what is the simplest Cisco device to do this for a site that could have up to 50 simultanious VPN connections?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Heitmuller
Loading thread data ...

I know of no reason why not. The k9 suffix indicates that it supports

3DES IPSec, and so should support the VPN client.

Simplest might perhaps be somewhere around a VPN 3020 -- though I'd recommend checking the 50 connection spec.

50 connections can be handled by a Cisco PIX 515 or 515E without much trouble, but the PIX are not the simplest of devices to configure and debug if all you want is VPN. The PIX are being more or less replaced by the Cisco ASA series, which have essentially the same nontrivial learning curve. But I've -heard- that the graphic interface for the VPN 3000 series is fairly good, well suited for VPN tasks (the PIX and ASA are firewalls that VPN; the 3000 are enterprise VPN servers.)
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.