Access Console on an ASA using USB or Ethernet?

Is it possible to access the console of the ASA using a USB cable or Ethernet? Do I require a special cable? I have a laptop with me at all times, but it doesn't have a Serial port (like most modern laptops).

Reply to
chris.crowder
Loading thread data ...

if you work on Cisco router and switches then acquire a Keyspan USB to serial adapter so that you can access the console.

Do not buy just any USB to serial adpater because most of them are simply junk.

You will also need a DB9 to RJ45 connector and a Cisco RJ45 console cable

Reply to
Merv

speaking of usb to serial adapters being junk, does anyone else have issue's with garbled text when you paste into the terminal app? I'm using a mac so it could just be my drivers but I've always been curious if this is just me or if others experience the same thing? (I've messed with flowcontrol to no avail)

Reply to
speedo

Garbled text when pasting to a terminal application? Paste smaller sections at a time. The receive buffer will get overloaded on most devices at 9600 baud if you paste an entire configuration at once.

Larger ASA devices come with a management port. It can be configured as a regular interface or a stateful LAN failover port, but it is intended for use as ethernet management port.

Reply to
Scott Perry

check if your trminal emulation program has an option to specify the inter-character delay

If so increase this until problem is not seen

. I use SecureCRT and it does have this functionality and I have had to use it for a smilir issue

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.