876-K9 | 876-SEC-K9.

Do the routers in the object differ only by te software installed? Do the share the same hardware? Is it possible to installed the SEC feature after the purchase, updating the software?

Thanks,

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Reply to
gray.wizard

So, why trying to install the IOS from c836-k9o3s3y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin to c836-k9o3s8y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin (look at s3 in the middle) the same router goes into the ROMmon mode? I had to roll back to that that doesn't enable the hardware accelerator....

Alex.

Reply to
AM

snipped-for-privacy@moria.mines wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I suppose that the SEC-version has the accelerator chip (for encryption/decryption) installed. So it needs another IOS release.

Regards, Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Schneider

c836-k9o3s8y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin (look at s3 in the

that doesn't enable the hardware

All of the 83x hardware has a hardware accelerator. It's one of the characteristics that separates the 83x line from the SOHO 9x line.

I think what you are running into are memory requirements that exceed what you have equipped in your router. If you were to look up the troublesome IOS release on Cisco's web site I am willing to bet that you will find that it requires either more flash or more RAM than your router is equipped with. For example, the way I understand it, some of the 12.4 IOS releases for the 83x series require 64 MB of RAM.

Getting dumped into ROMmon mode when trying to upgrade is a symptom of memory deficiencies.

The bad news is that Cisco only just recently started shipping 83x units with 64 MB of RAM and the older units are not upgradeable past

48 MB of RAM. The new 64MB routers have -64MB tacked onto the end of the Cisco part numbers.
Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.