Does CISCO877-SEC-K9 do Annex M?

I am looking at updating from my aging 827 to an 877 ADSL router, but I want it to be able to support ADSL2+ Annex M. The Cisco web page that I found that lists the model numbers

formatting link
shows two different part numbers for most models of 877, such as CISCO877-K9 and CISCO877-M-K9, with the latter being the newer version that has Annex M support. But for the model I want, CISCO877-SEC-K9 (with Advanced IP firmware and the necessary bigger memory for that), there is only one model number and no information about whether or not it supports Annex M.

So, does anyone know if CISCO877-SEC-K9 supports Annex M? And, how do you tell if an 877 supports Annex M if you are asking someone who is selling one second hand?

Reply to
Stephen Worthington
Loading thread data ...

From the documentation -

Looks like Annex M support is a hardware change.

The ADSL HWIC uses the same ADSL firmware as the

877 so I think that this document will apply.

formatting link
Chipset Specifications

=95 HWIC-1ADSL, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST (ADSL over basic telephone service)-STMicroelectronics STM20190

=95 HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST (ADSL over ISDN)

-STMicroelectronics STM20190

=95 HWIC-1ADSL-M (ADSL over basic telephone service, Annex M), STMicroelectronics STM20196P

formatting link
is about the 877. No mention of STM20196P chipset here. =95 Annex M (except UK Mask) is supported starting with the special Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(11)XJ; and requires the CISCO877-M-K9 or CISCO877W-G-E-M-K9 SKU.

Not sure where you are but there are many references to "except UK Mask". No idea what this means - in practice or otherwise:).

PSD Mask M9 - Power Spectral Density.

Identification: - examples (NOT Annex M) Part number will be different on back of box I imagine. Likewise in sh ver, sh inv. sh inv NAME: "877W", DESCR: "877W chassis, Hw Serial#: xxxxxxxxxxx, Hw Revision: 0x200" PID: CISCO877W-G-E-K9 , VID: V02 , SN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Possibly "sh dsl int", but I think this only works when DSL is synched. #sh dsl int atm 0 ATM0 Alcatel 20190 chipset information

So - For Annex M "sh inv" PID would be CISCO877-M-K9 or CISCO877W-G-E-M-K9 "W" =3D Wireless, by the way.

I *GUESS*.

Hope that helps? All from docs and guesswork.

Reply to
bod43

formatting link
Q. What's the difference between the Cisco 877 and Cisco 877M? A. Cisco 877M provides annex M support with the MTK20196P chipset. Cisco 877 can not be upgraded to provide annex M support.

Q. Does Cisco 877M support the PSD mask required to comply with the Annex M standards in the United Kingdom? A. No. Currently there are no plans to support this.

Reply to
bod43

CISCO877-SEC-K9 is a special bundle. Bundles in general do not sell all that quickly through the distribution channel, and they don't make bundles of every product.

If it doesn't specificly mention it, I would assume that it is the older hardware in the bundle.

You of course can order the parts seperately that make up the bundle, but you'll pay more, and have some hassles.

This is such a new part number, I would not expect *any* of the used models on the market to be the 877M model.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

The "UK mask" is presumably what combination of powers/frequencies Ofcom/NICC have decided can be used in the UK. The idea is to have the many circuits you'd have in a multicore cable play nice with each other. As to whether or not it makes any difference, probably not. The ISP will have to program their DSLAMs to conform to the Access Network Frequency Plan, and the router will effectively follow suit when syncing up with the DSLAM.

This contains some more info:

formatting link

Reply to
alexd

Thanks, that is starting to make sense now. It looks like I will need to get a CISCO877-M-K9 and add more flash, then get the Advanced IP firmware for it. Now I have to hunt up all the part numbers for those bits and see if I can find them at a reasonable price here in New Zealand.

Reply to
Stephen Worthington

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.