837: unable to use with ADSL. Your help is appreciated!

Hi everybody. I'm new cisco user. Just recently purchased an 837 to be used with my ADSL line, especially for its firewall features and reliability. But I'm not able to make it working with ADSL. Google didn't help me at all so I have no choice rather than disturb you here.

I'm based in Malaysia. My ISP is TM and its service is called STREAMYX

1.0MBit ADSL They are using PPPoE Currently I'm using a router ZYXEL P660R-T1

Here is the actual configuration (WAN) for the ADSL of the router :

- Mode = Routing

- Encapsulation = PPPoE (PPPoA is also working)

- Multiplex = LLC (VC is not working in Malaysia)

- VPI = 0

- VCI = 35

- ATM QoS Type = UBR

- IP Address = Obtain an IP Address automatically

- Username = XXX

- Password = XXX

On 837 I use the SDM web interface only. I have no experience about CLI (command line interface)

When I try to setup the 837 (either manually creating a new ATM interface, or via WIZARD) I tried to choose any possible option. I reverse the changes to the modem (done most of the times automatically) and follow their suggestion to DISABLE (30sec)/ENABLE the ATM0/ATM0.1 interfaces.

The ADSL is up (as stated in the advance/interface page) but I can't surf from clients, I can't obtain any IP address, etc.

It seems nobody is using 837 (purchased from UK), in Malaysia with this national ISP operator.

Lastly I did try to install a modem also purchased in London last december (netgear) and it work smoothly.

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot in advance and sorry if missed some informations.

Reply to
brokenby2703
Loading thread data ...

That sounds like you didn't setup NAT/DHCP on the inside network.

Forget about doing any Firewall setup at first.

Concentrate on setting up PPPoE or PPPoA WAN, and setting up NAT and DHCP on the LAN. You should be able to get DHCP setup to hand out local IP addresses on the LAN no matter what the ADSL WAN port is doing. Sounds like you have difficulty with this part of the configuration.

A decent config generator for this router is at

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.