Unapproved GBIC

Hi all, we are quite custom to using non-cisco branded SFP's and GBIC's in our switches, I use the commands:

service unsupported-transceiver no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid

which allows the optics to be used even when they come up with an invalid GBIC error. However this new bunch of optics we have bought comes up with a different error:

%C4K_CHASSIS-3-SFPCRCINTEGRITYCHECKFAILED: SFP integrity check on port Gi*/* failed: bad crc

sh int g*/* g*/8 is down, media type is Unapproved GBIC Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is Unapproved GBIC

I have had this error on two different 4507's the commands above don't do anything, Several different GBIC's have all done the same, is there a way to over ride this check? otherwise we have a fairly large bunch of paper weights.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam
Loading thread data ...

If you can't return the SFP's then indeed you have a bunch of new paper weights. Even though you can use non-Cisco SFP's and GBIC's, you need to use ones that are compatible with Cisco (and their intended purpose). SFP's and GBIC's are just like memory in a PC, you need the right kind that are compatible with the system you are installing them in.

I have been purchasing non-Cisco GBIC's and SFP's for years and never had a problem, but I have always purchased them from vendors that offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime hardware warranty. Never had to use the commands you have listed either.

Check out

formatting link

Reply to
Thrill5

I'd say that if the checksum in the EPROM is bad, that the hardware hasn't been properly setup, and you bought damaged goods.

Imagine if you bought a bunch of NIC cards, and they had bad EPROMs setting their MAC addresses, so a whole bunch had illegal MAC addresses on the network. Some maybe worked in some networks, but other network devices bounced those cards out.

Would you consider the cards bad? Or that your network isn't as flexible as you need it to be?

If you bought SFPs with scrambled EPROMs, I'd say they are defective, not that the switch isn't flexible to accept anything.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.