No link between fiber converter and Catalyst 6500, works with Router 7301

Greetings all

I have tried to find an answer to and issue like this before but without success. I've tried for some day now to get a fiber connection between an IMCnetworks MM850 GigabitTPFiber converter up and running. The fiber is on my end connected to a SX SPF. When I connect the cable and enable the interface I get a LinkUp light on the media converter but no link on my Cat6500. I've tried different autodetect, negotiation and speed settings but nothing works. I've also tried different SPFs and switched cables. As a final solution I plugged the fiber cable into our 7301 router, bypassing our Cat6500. After I set the port to "no negotiate auto" the link went up on the 7301.

How can the same cable and same SPF work on the 7301 but not on my Cat6500? Is there some setting I'm missing here?

Regards Fredrik Hofgren

Reply to
Hoffa
Loading thread data ...

Hi Fredrik,

When a user cannot get a Gigabit Ethernet link up between a Cisco switch and a non-Cisco device due to auto-negotiation incompatibility and the cable between the devices is known to be good and is the correct type, yet the link does not light up, one of these commands may need to be issued on the Cisco Gigabit interface:

On a CatOS-based switch, the set port negotiation mod#/port# disable command.

On a Cisco IOS-based switch, the no negotiation auto command.

Be sure to disable auto-negotiation on the connected device as well.

An alternative to disabling auto-negotiation is to contact the vendor for a software or hardware upgrades for IEEE 802.3z Gigabit auto-negotiation support.

For more information, refer to the Gigabit Auto-Negotiation (No Link to Connected Device) section of Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst Switches to NIC Compatibility Issues:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

2007 Cisco Salary Rates
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.