566 Content Engine - experience?

Is anyone out there using the 566 (or 511) Content Engine that could relate their experiences? There are so many buzzwords on the product page that I can't figure out exactly what it does and how. Basically it appears to be a web caching system with some security and monitoring features. Is there more to it than that? How does it perform in operation? Is it complex to get up and running?

Thanks.

sPh

Reply to
sphealey
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to monitor the Cisco Content Networking Forum:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Thanks for the link - I was not aware of those forums.

I did not find much on the 511/566 (although the search function is poor). In any case I would prefer to get some feedback on a non-vendor-managed forum ;-)

sPh

Reply to
sphealey

its one of those things that is easy to understand once you see a demo - maybe you should ask Cisco or a reseller if they can demo for you?

Basically

i put some of the older models in a few years back (510 and 560s, with 511 and 565s added later).

we deployed for an "e-learning" system - where the master content engine has a bunch of files pages etc and then replicates those out to the various engines so users can watch desktop learning video and other materials without tieing up WAN bandwdith during viewing.

Is there more to it than that? How does it perform in

once it was up and running the customer set it up to do other things as well.

main one is local unicast -> multicast and 1 unicast to several mapping for streaming (AFAIR they used windows media streams).

this means multiple users on a site can see a real time video with only 1 stream sent across the WAN. it is used for company videos and announcements etc.

Reply to
stephen

I don't have any experience with the Content Engine, however I have used Bluecoat Proxy SG's for the last six years.

Bluecoat are the market leader in this field -

formatting link
James

Reply to
James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.