Cisco IOS naming for Catalyst 6500 Series

Hi there

Looking for hours for what's the difference between SXH and SXI in IOS names, e.g. 12.2(33)SXH or 12.2(33)SXI but cannot find some useful information.

Is there any body who can explain it to me?

Cheers,

Andre

Reply to
Andre
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
may be able to do those images in its comparison tool.

In general SXI is likely to be the one after H with a few extra features. H and I are very unlikely to have any special 'meaning' other than being a sequence of labels.

There used to be a nice IOS "Road Map" that showed all of the versions (for routers anyway) and many of their relationships but a quick look suggests that it has gone now.

formatting link
promising though.

formatting link
H and I are "New Technology Introduction Identifiers"; so there! I think my above comments stand:)

Reply to
bod43

Here are some links that explain what features are in SXI, that were added after SXH:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
(found via a Google search for:

site:cisco.com 12.2(33)SXH 12.2(33)SXI

)

Aaron (top-posting in the Cisco tradition)

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Aaron,

I will appreciate your position of you do not respond, so that will be OK by me.

At one time (1999 ish) I realised that my job description could well be "reading the Cisco web site". I vividly recall the frustration of typing in to the search box the exact title of a document that I had at least a part of in my hand and getting exactly zero hits.

Then one day - Cisco semed to purchase from some unknown startup called Google, a search engine.

Pouff!!

All was revealed.

Lately I have the idea that the Cisco search does not work as well as it did and that searching on google for Cisco does not return optimal results.

My view is that Cisco must be restricting google's access to cisco.com and have also ceased to use the google search engine for their private searches.

It quite frankly all seems pretty rubbish.

Comments are welcome but not necessarily expected.:-)

Reply to
bod43

~ On 29 Apr, 22:02, Aaron Leonard wrote: ~ > Here are some links that explain what features are in SXI, ~ > that were added after SXH: ~ >

~ >

formatting link
>

~ >

formatting link
>

~ >

formatting link
>

~ ~ Aaron, ~ ~ I will appreciate your position of you do not respond, ~ so that will be OK by me. ~ ~ At one time (1999 ish) I realised that my job description could ~ well be "reading the Cisco web site". I vividly recall the ~ frustration of typing in to the search box the exact title of ~ a document that I had at least a part of in my hand and ~ getting exactly zero hits. ~ ~ Then one day - Cisco semed to purchase from some ~ unknown startup called Google, a search engine. ~ ~ Pouff!! ~ ~ All was revealed.

Yes, at one time, cisco.com's internal search engine used Google. ~ Lately I have the idea that the Cisco search does not ~ work as well as it did

Cisco.com's internal search engine does not now use Google.

~ and that searching on google for Cisco ~ does not return optimal results.

So now you are talking about going to public google.com and using it to search cisco.com? I use that method a lot myself (i.e. I use a "site:cisco.com" search), and it works well for me.

In fact, that's how I found those links listed above - I just searched

formatting link
for

site:cisco.com 12.2(33)SXH 12.2(33)SXI

I.e.

formatting link
No magic or insider information was involved.

~ My view is that Cisco must be restricting google's access ~ to cisco.com

Not as far as I know. That is, of course, there is some content on cisco.com that is restricted to customers with service contracts, and some that is restricted to Cisco partners, and public Google can't find that.

~ and have also ceased to use the google ~ search engine for their private searches.

Well, this is true.

~ It quite frankly all seems pretty rubbish. ~ ~ Comments are welcome but not necessarily expected.:-)

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.