2950 will not connect to my 4510

I have a new 2950SX-24 that is behaving a little strangely. If I connect it to my 4510 (doesn't matter which port I connect it to), the port on the 2950 (fa0/24 for example) will not light up. If I connect that same port (or any other) to another 2950 instead, its fine. If I plug my laptop into another port, the connection is fine. If I have both of the connections (fa0/1 to my laptop and fa0/24 to the 4510) ready during the bootup sequence, they are lit. The 0/24 port stays amber until the point when all of the ports light up at the end of the bootup cycle and then it shuts down. Is there something simple I am missing here?

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

In article , Dave wrote: :I have a new 2950SX-24 that is behaving a little strangely. If I connect it :to my 4510 (doesn't matter which port I connect it to), the port on the 2950 :(fa0/24 for example) will not light up. If I connect that same port (or any :other) to another 2950 instead, its fine.

Is the 4510 set for fixed speed and duplex? Have you tried using a cross-over cable?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The cross-over cable did it. This is the first switch out of the last six that needed the x-over, all of the others are connected with straight though cables. Wierd but I will roll with it.

Reply to
Dave

In article , Dave top-posted: :The cross-over cable did it. This is the first switch out of the last six :that needed the x-over, all of the others are connected with straight though :cables. Wierd but I will roll with it.

I know that on the 3750 there is a command that can be used to turn off auto- mdix (i.e., automatic detection and correction of crossover.) I haven't looked as closely at the 2950 documents, but I think there is a similar command on it. Possibly the port just has automatic detection configured as disabled, rather than there being something wrong with the port itself.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.