2900 switch question

have WS-C2924M-XL-EN version 12.0

The switch handles traffic both on routable IP 206.x.x.x and non-routable

10.x.x.x. A 2620 router with two NICs nats the 10.x.x.x All Microsoft stuff lives on the 10.x.x.x network and each node in the VMS cluster has two IPs, one for each network. The switch which I access through the console has an IP on the 10.x.x.x network.

I would like to be able to telnet to the switch from the internal network, but I get following message

Password required, but none set

I have not set any password, when I connect through the console I give enable as the password. I presaume I need to give it something other than default. The only thing I see that comes close is SET, but Switch#> SET ? % Unrecognized command

TIA Tom

Reply to
Tom Linden
Loading thread data ...

You are in a IOS based switch, so set won't get you anywhere. Do a config t, line vty 0 4, and then password . Hopefully that gets you where you need to be.

Reply to
Trendkill

You have to set a password on the telnet line:

conf t line vty 0 15 password Cisco login exit write mem

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Trendkill is correct, it should be:

conf t line vty 0 4 password Cisco Login exit write mem

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

New question, got a second identical switch which has 2 X2931 Gbit modules with SX GBICs the opriginal one had one such module which had originally hosted a Gigastack GBIC

I tried putting in a SX fibre GBIC in original unit

when I look at the int on both, the old one says

Auto-duplex , link type is autonegotiation, media type is unknown 0

whereas the new on says

Auto-duplex , 1000Mb/s, media type is SX

How to get this to work?

Can these modules be removed with power on?

Reply to
Tom Linden

My stupidity, sorry, I had the cables reversed.

However, still curious about media type, the are both version 12.0

Reply to
Tom Linden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.