3-Com Switch 3C16479 Question

The 3C16479 is a 24 port, auto-sensing 10/100/1000 ethernet switch. Apparently, ports 12 and 24 are different from the others because I can't obtain a connection through them. The manual doesn't really give any details. Am I missing something, or are the ports defective?

Reply to
gwtx2
Loading thread data ...

You might try using a swapped cable with those ports. They might be intended as uplink / downlink ports.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

All ports on this switch are the same type . So it sounds like they are defective.

Reply to
PT

gwtx2 wrote in part:

If they're not X-over uplink (usually marked) as suggested by other posters, they're probably defective. It is not unusual to find fried ports on used equipment (if this is). Depending on lightening imponderables, I'd expect a port mortality of up to 1%/yr. Comments? Other's expererience?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Take a look at the diagram on page two of this document:

formatting link
Notice the "1" encompasses all ports except 12 and 24.

Reply to
gwtx2

Hmmm, dubious.

More to the point is the paragraph on the right under the diagram:

All ports auto-sense an MDI/MDIX connection so each port can be connected to a device with a normal 'straight through' TP (twisted pair) cable or a 'cross-over' TP cable. Any port can therefore be used to connect to either another switch port, server, or workstation without additional configuration.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

But the descriptive text below says "24 RJ-45 10/100/1000 Ports"

Reply to
Rod Dorman

formatting link

3C16479 has auto MDI/X on all 24 ports. If you can't get link on ports 12 or 24 then it looks like you have a fauly switch.

Did you buy the product yourself? If you did this comes with a lifetime warranty. Register it then raise an RMA. You should get a replacement switch.

Reply to
Kevin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.