Allied Telesyn vs Cisco vs netgear

I have to make a decision between Allied Telesyn AT-GS950/24, Cisco Catalyst Express 500-12TC and Netgear GS716TEU switches. It should be used as a gigabit backbone.

Two of them should be connected with two optical fibre cables. Four servers and one 24-port 10/100 switch (workstation connections) would be connected to each of them. Features required are reliability, speed, STP. Web interface for management would be nice too. Nothing fancy. It's a small network, about 50 workstations and before mentioned servers total. Existing 10/100 switches are Cisco Catalysts 2900 series and I don't want any interconnection problems. Of course, Cisco would probably be the easiest choice but Allied Telesyn costs 1/3 of its price and Netgear costs 1/4.

Therefore, I would like to read some experienced users opinions, and perhaps save some money.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Lezo
Loading thread data ...

Your time is not for free, neither is your users time.

Thus you cannot see the price of a network gear isolated from other costs, this independently if you look at installation cost or day-to-day management.

I'd go for cisco if i had to pay for it. I'd also go with cisco if i hat to manage it. BUT i would use some competitors equpment somewheer for two reasons : Get experience from that vendor ; and make shure the cisco-distributor knows that you have at least one other brand to choose from.

Reply to
tsar.peter

Hm. Have anyone had any experience with Netgear or Allied Telesyn? Gigabit switches maybe?

Reply to
Lezo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.