iBGP question.

Hi all,

I have AS and own PI prefixes. I have 2 BGP routers in different locations (A and B). Router A announces some prefixes and B announces another prefixes. Between routers A and B is iBGP session (direct leased link connecting those two routers).

Now I have to launch third location C with another BGP router within same AS.

Do I have to make full mesh iBGP connections between routers A,B and C (I mean dedicated direct links) or may I use some other techniques like tunnels, or whatever, to establish iBGP connections?

Regards, Jarek

Reply to
Jarek Jarzebowski
Loading thread data ...

I have found there is something like: neighbour allowas-in in cisco's BGP configuration.

Now, the question is what is better?:

1. use neighbour allowas-in
  2. use iBGP multihop option
  3. (if possible) use some tunnel to interconnect routers within the same AS

Regards, Jarek

Reply to
Jarek Jarzebowski

you need to have a full mesh - for example you could use route rflection fron either A or B to C

Reply to
Merv

If possible- use full mesh. If not -use other techiques- like route reflector or confederation.

Reply to
Bartosz Gagat

OK, but is it possible to implement full mesh using tunnels over Internet (or iBGB multihop?) or this must be direct link between routers?

Jarekj

Reply to
Jarek Jarzebowski

As long as you have a route at the existing routers which enables you to reach the third iBGP neighbor, and that new iBGP neighbor has a route back to your 2 existing routers, you can peer up with that new (third) router.

No direct connection, or dedicated facility is needed to do this. All three routers need to have routes / reachability with each other, that's all. And yes, full mesh should be used - or - route reflection.

Reply to
John Agosta

A more fundamental question - why do you need to run BGP to existing site ?

Do you not just need to run an IGP (via GRE tunnel( for inter-AS traffic ?

Reply to
Merv

It is not clear why one would want to use iBGP to other sites in this case.

Can understand an IGP via GRE tunnels to reach internal resouces

Reply to
Merv

I have 2 locations (2 routers BGP using the same AS): A and B. On each site I have separate BGP upstream links to at least 2 peers (on each site), so in fact, those routers are using the same AS but are announcing different prefixes. I just have done my internal assignement: prefix X is used in location A, and prefix Y in B.

It's done this way to provide my customers Internet using my PI adresses on each location. Now, because routers A and B use the same AS, so, I need iBGP session to reach prefix X (announced by A) from B, and vice versa. My AS is'nt big enough to make some internal traffic policy so I just need some way to reach my prefixes between sites. Unfortunetly, I have very poor direct leased link between those sites.

I have to change it, and I am thinking of alternative solutins, for example:

- make iBGP session between A and B using GRE over Internet (if possible)

- use allowas-in to receive prefix X on router B through foreign peers (normaly BGP blocks prefikses originated from own AS).

I don't know if my english is precise enough but I tried to explain situation as good as I can. The question is: "what solution is better?"

Regards, Jarek

Reply to
Jarek Jarzebowski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.