1751 ** Software Emulation Exception ***

Hi all,

I got a cisco 1751 router. Once I've upload a new firmware and after the reboot I received the following error:

PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x918b7c

*** Software Emulation Exception *** PC = 0x80008d80, Vector = 0x1000, SP = 0x800063ec

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to exception

Any ideas how can roll back to the original state?

Thank you very much

Angelo

Reply to
Angelo
Loading thread data ...

Not too easily by the look of it.

The no service password-recovery Command for Secure ROMMON Configuration

formatting link

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Why would you have entered the semi-undocumented command to do this???

Most likely the reason it failed is that somehow you either put the wrong image on it, or the image you put on it requires more RAM in it than you currently have. An easier fix may be just to upgrade the RAM to what you really need.

Hopefully you can break into the boot ROM monitor after you did the disable on the password recovery function.

If you can get to the boot ROM monitor, you should be able to do a bare-metal recovery from there using either tftpdwnld or xmodem up the older image that you backed up and saved because you knew it works, and copy to flash, or run from RAM and put the new image into flash from there.

There's no rolling back. The original image is gone... You have to go and fix things for real now. There's no fail-safe state to go back to.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.