1242AG and fa 0 when using vlan

I use the web interface of the 1242AG access point to set up the wireless LAN using VLAN and connect it to one trunk port of the router, which also acts a the dhcp server for the access point.

After configuring the AP, I reload it and my notebook can get an ip and wirelessly access the network thru that AP. But the interface fa

0 never gets an IP address from the DHCP server. I also try setting an IP manually for the fa 0, but I cannot ping it at all.

( The purpose of setting the ip address for the ip is to be able to access it remotely. )

Any advice how to set it work correctly is greatly appreciated.

Below is the config of fa 0 and fa 0.5 ( VLAN 5 is used in this case )

interface FastEthernet0 ip address 192.168.243.100 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache duplex auto speed auto bridge-group 1 no bridge-group 1 source-learning bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled ! interface FastEthernet0.5 encapsulation dot1Q 5 no ip route-cache no snmp trap link-status bridge-group 5 no bridge-group 5 source-learning bridge-group 5 spanning-disabled !

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com schrieb:

Don't attach an ip address to a physical interface in an Aironet AP. The ip address is attached to the bridge virtual interface.

Reply to
Uli Link

DT,

This configuration is not supported for an Aironet AP in autonomous IOS mode. An aIOS AP is subject to the following constraint:

It must have exactly one IP address, which IP address is configured on the BVI1 interface, and which bridge-group must be mapped to the native VLAN.

So: don't configure your IP address directly on FastEthernet0. Instead, configure a native subinterface, bridge this to bridge-group 1, and confiugre the IP address on BVI1.

It might be easier for you to reset the AP to factory defaults, then use the web interface to set up the VLANs (this is what I do).

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Uli, Aaron,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, it is the bvi interface that plays the role. The AP is working fine now.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.