Setting up a network question.

We are setting up a network for a large building project. Each contractor will have its own lan with one shared internet connection. I am thinking about a cisco switch with one port going to each contractors lan, connected to there own mini switch or hub. I dont want any traffic to pass between these lans. Would it be possible to set up an access list for each port on the main switch to deny traffic from the other ports? eg network 1 - 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 into port 1 network 2 - 192.168.1.0 255.255.0.0 into port 2 network 3 - 192.168.2.0 255.255.0.0 into port 3. port 1 deny traffic from 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 and 192.168.2.0

0.0.0.255. The default gateway would have to be reachable from all lans. How would I get each smaller lan to dhcp its own address range? Is this the simplest way to set this up or would I need VLANs passing through a router or layer 3 switching?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

H.

Reply to
henrymcivor
Loading thread data ...

Sure just use an extended access list to deny based in source and destination (if this is a layer 3 switch)...

formatting link

It should work with any problem when you enable dhcp relay with ip helper in the interface, dhcp will choose automatically the right pool for the right interface which is inserting GIADDR.

formatting link

Well as i told you before you will need a layer 3 switch (or do iintervlan routing with a router) to apply the access list and you will need to create vlans. So far that's the only way i know or simplest way I see.

Reply to
Anthrax

Make sure your subnet masks are 255.255.255.0 for those class C networks you are using.

Reply to
kymwak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.