REQ - Help with config of 2950

You can use the port security feature to restrict the devices that can be connected to a port by MAC addresses. Here is an example:

Switch(config)#interface fastethernet0/2 Switch(config-if)#switchport mode access Switch(config-if)#switchport port-security Switch(config-if)#switchport port-security mac-address 0422.1043.0a31 Switch(config-if)#exit

The following papers explain the details about port security configuration:

Fundamentals of Switching (by KP-LAB):

formatting link
Configuring Port Security (by Cisco):
formatting link

KPLAB

formatting link
- Free CCNA Study Guide

Reply to
kplab
Loading thread data ...

Mark,

Read the answer to your questions below.

Question 1

If you're hardware supports it you can use Auto-MDIX setting. This will sense the cabling used either straight-through or crossover.

switch#configure terminal switch(config)#interface fastethernet 0/1 switch(config-if)#mdix auto switch(config-if)#end switch#

Question 2

switch#configure terminal switch(config)#interface fastethernet 0/1 switch(config-if)#switchport mode access switch(config-if)#switchport port-security switch(config-if)#switchport port-security mac-address 0001.0002.0003 switch(config-if)#end switch#

That wasn't hard now was it? Try Googling for answers next time! It's all there.

Don't forget to save your configuration!

HTH

LEON

Reply to
Leon van Dongen

G'day all I need some help with the config of a 2950 Switch if someone would be so kind,

1. Is it possible to set port 1 as a crossover (instead of using a cable) and if so how, what commands do I use to achieve this.

1. Can I lock down the ports to specific mac addresses and if so how, what commands do I use to achieve this.

Thanks in advance Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks so much Leon Regards Mark

Reply to
Mark

Now I've had to go and mdo a IOS upgrade as MDIX is not featured in the IOS I have installed.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks so much. Regards Mark

formatting link

Reply to
Mark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.