Pointers for a guy thats been away for a while

Hi Ive been out of IT since the crash in 2001 but have gotten the bug again so any info would be apreciated. Currently hold a CCNP and my lab is set up for RS so Im sure it will need updating.

Which Cisco certs would lend themselves to the job market best at this time?

What would be a good lab setup for VolIP or Security if those are suggested? I do want to take this though CCIE this time if possible.

Sorry to be so general, Im not to the point of asking for more specific info.

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

A CCVP would have people beating a path to your door...

For VoIP, you would need a CallManager 4.0 and Unity 4.0 Servers as well as a couple of IP Commicators...

I have this setup now, with a Cisco 1760 with FXS and FXO (with DSPs) to act as an MGCP/H.323 Gateway, a 2610 as an H.323 Gatekeeper, and 2 7960s.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks for the reply you lost me with the lingo though. If you have time could you translate that into english? ;)

Reply to
dan

Possibly.

The components of a Cisco VoIP solution are:

A Cisco CallManager (the server that does call setup) A Cisco Unity Server (rides on top of Exchange or Notes and is for Voice Mail) A Cisco IOS router (to be a Gateway (to let you connect to the world) and a Gatekeeper (to do call admission control & basically a directory) Cisco IP Phones (can either be hard phones (the Cisco 79xx series) or soft phones (Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco IP SoftPhone and a few hundred third party phones)...

You need to master all of the above for the CCVP.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thaks yet again you have been a great help.

Reply to
dan

The upside to CallManager is that you can use any Windows 2000 server you can find, provided you get the registry hack for it.

formatting link

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.