Cisco Router vs. Pix????

I am currently struggling between 2 setup possibilities.

1) Standard ISP cable modem - Cisco Pix 501 2) Cisco 831 Router

The added cost of the router is irrelevant

Will setup 1 be a config nightmare? Will the router provide comparable firewalling to the Pix since one uses Pix os and the other IOS? Are the VPN capabilities comparable?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
fyrfaktry
Loading thread data ...

Well, i see now that I still need the modem with the 831, but my questions remain.

Reply to
fyrfaktry

My $0.02 worth...

I would recommend the PIX over the router. The PIX lends itself to a more "secure by default" configuration in that inbound traffic moving from a lower security interface (the outside) to a higher security interface (the inside) is denied by default. With the appropriate license and activation key, the PIX can support 3DES/AES encryption on VPNs and SSH sessions, but I believe the same is most likely true for IOS (again, with the appropriate license and activation keys).

YMMV, of course.

Reply to
Scott Lowe

Neither are very good firewalls. In reality one of the low end Linksys, Netgear, or Trendnet firewall/routers with VPN will do the same job. The Pix

501 is probably one of the most overpriced pieces of junk on the market.

I'm rust on my 8xx series but I believe the 83x's are comparable to a Pix

501 in VPN performance... ie crappy.
Reply to
Mark S

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
as well as the Cisco Solution Designer:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.