Wiring home for satellite & ethernet

I have a 3 bedroom home which I want to run ethernet and coax througout. The only problem is that there is no attic/crawl space and it's on a slab. The home has tile throughout (new - put in by previous owner) so I prefer not to take it up.

I would like to run one of those all-in-one cables (2 each of coax, fiber and cat5) however, I have no idea on how to do this. My initial plan was to drill holes in the wall and somehow drill through each beam but that would require holes in the wall ever 18 inches =). Another possibility is to somehow get the wires to the ceiling and hope I can (from inside the house) get the wires to the garage where the wire box will be.

Is anyone experienced in an install like this and have some suggestions? Would a good electrician be able to handle this with ease? I wouldn't mind paying some $$$ if they could do it without running the wires outside or whatnot.

Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Serio
Loading thread data ...

Is anyone experienced in an install like this and have some suggestions? Would a good electrician be able to handle this with ease?

I wouldn't mind paying some $$$ if they could do it without running the

wires outside or whatnot.

Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated

The best advice is to look for a cabling contractor. Most electricians, while qualified by the local authority having jurisdiction for permits and fire safety, have no real clue about installing data cabling. It is a specialized subset of electrical work. Kind of like going to a eye doctor for a foot problem. Both are doctors, but the work they do is very different.

Reply to
Justin Time

No attic? That's where LV is usually run.

If you don't want to go outside, you'll have to go inside. Surface runs like in Europe.

You could also go into the drywall, but you will make a mess. Studfinder for the direction of ceiling beams/furring strips.

This will be a messy PITA. Wireless may be better.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

The neighbors had an exterior grade plastic square tube installed for the CATV, and it's been up for about a year. It's like panduit, I believe it snaps closed. Won't know for a few years if it'g going to hold up with the weather, but it never gets cold here in So. Calif. so it's not much of a test. That's what I would use if I were in your place, because it's a whole lot easier than hassling with stuff inside. It comes in some colors but should be easily painted.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.