Injecting IR into CATV

Is there a filter I can put on a coax splitter so an injected IR signal doesn't get attenuated?

Working on this project at my mom's house:

She has a Tivo in her bedroom which she would like to watch in the Living room. I purchased a Modulator with built in IR "processor," IR targets, injector for the living room, etc.

The first problem was that I could not get the video to show up until I put an extra splitter outside the house, so that the bedroom and living room are on their own splitter, which is then attached to the main splitter which feeds the house. Slight loss in signal quality, but at least the modulated chanels now show up.

The problem I have is with the IR. First, I had to power the IR target locally. The modulator was supposed to be able to power it over the coax, but I guess it's just too far away. Oh well, at least it works.

However, it only works was long as the Tivo in the bedroom is not connected to cable. There is another splitter in the bedroom -- I need CATV into the tivo, and the modulator has to connect back to the wall as well to inject the new channel. I had a nice fancy 1ghz splitter, that didn't work. Dropped back to an old one I had lying around, it works as long as the tivo CATV is not plugged in. As soon as I plug it in, the IR stops working.

If I were working on a DMX or a video system, I'd say the input impedance of the Tivo is too low, and it's sucking the IR signal out of the cable, attenuating it to the point the modulator can no longer use it.

We have the same problem with X10 signal suckers, and solve it with filters.

Is there a filter I can put on the splitter so the injected IR signal doesn't get attenuated?

Thanks,

:Lee

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

I've tried those in three different houses, and never had one work reliably.

Now, neither is this injection system.

So far the > Wouldn't it be simpler to use an IR2RF extender (e.g. X10 Powermid)? >

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Reply to
Dave Houston

The OP's request was for information on injecting IR into a CATV cable. Xantech makes a model 172-94 kit which they call "ExtraLink" (not to be confused with "Linc" series products from another vendor). I've used them on a fair number of my own installations. They work very well.

Regards, Robert L Bass Bass Home Electronics

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.