Sample Request For Bid (RFB) for data/telecom cable plant

Our company is building a new building and I have the rather unique (for me) opportunity to build a new network from the ground up. I am a layer 2/3 person, so can do the switching design for both data and IP phones, but I get a little shakey on the cable plant specifications so I was hoping someone could point me to some good whitepapers or discussions of cable plant specifications. In particular, in regards to Category 5/5e/6 selection. It is looking to me that 6 is too expensive still, and I can't imagine ever needing to go >1Gb to the desktop so 5e would be fine. I had a local vendor try to tell me that there was a 5e and 5E standard but I cannot find any discussion on that, nor a really good overview of the specs. I need to create a Request For Bid to give out to interested vendors but am not comfortable as to how detailed it needs to be. I have found some samples from state agencies but because of typical government overhead, they are absurdly huge. I already have a preferred vendor selected because of past experience with them, but according to management I must have 3 bidders and must provide a standard RFB for them all so the bid specs are equal.

thanks

Hal

Reply to
hal
Loading thread data ...

Yea, sure.

Each installation is unique. There are a great many variables that go into the design and specification of a physical infrastructure installation. This may be a situation where you will be better served by having a consultant come in and do the work for you - as far as the project design and management is concerned. There are firms that will do a design/build also.

If the interior of your facility has not been finalized, then go back to the architects and ask them to do the design as part of their body of work. This way the cabling system can be integrated into any modular furniture and the entire design coordinated.

You will need to develop a list of specifications - not necessarily down to the component level, but you will need to know the number of work area outlets, the number of wiring closets, if telephone is to be included in the cable plant, the type of telephone system being used if it is to be integrated and a myriad of other details to develop your specifications. This is something the architects are used to doing, as well as many independent telecommunications designers and consultants.

From the requirements that your management set for you, it appears as if they may have an idea that the physical infrastructure is important

- try lifeblood of the company - but still haven't gotten their arms around the fact it will require a significant budget to design and install a system that will meet current needs and be flexible enough to expand and handle growth without having to tear everything out and start over again. You can throw around a number - try $300 per work area outlet - depending on the requirements to give them the idea it will cost some real dollars.

A source for an independent design/consultant would be a Registered Communications Distribution Designer as certified by BICSI, the Building Industry Consulting Service, International. The requirements for the RCDD designation and a list of qualified people in your area can be found on their website,

formatting link

Reply to
Justin Time

CAT5e == CAT5E There is no question about it. I hope it is not your preferred vendor that's telling you otherwise. If this is NOT them, just tell them that they are the preferred vendor, but in order to get the job THEY have to write the RFP. I do it all the time for my customers. They would then go to BICSI site, and in the member section find the template RFP and tweak it to match your unique requirements. Let the cable guys handle the RFP part.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.