cisco query??

hi We're trying to extend our structured network ie. add more points/ floor outlets, we currently have a cisco cataylist 2950 with all our 24 ports in use. we will need to uplink to another (new) switch to give us more capacity.does this need to be another cisco router?? or can we use another brand (cheaper) to cascade of our exsisting router?? and just disable dhcp thanks to one and all for any pointers.

Reply to
old- KRONEr
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Perkowski

This is not good. You should always have spare ports for testing or if one goes dead.

I would definitely consider a cheaper cascade switch, especially if the new space/outlets is used for relatively lightly loaded user workstations. This can also save considerable cabling run. Just put a switch in the most convenient telco closet. I've also seen people hang them on walls.

Many people only have servers and switches plugged into their Criscos. All workstations a plugged into switches. This usually works well unless several workstations are heavy bandwidth users and are hitting different servers.

You shouldn't need to disable DHCP. Switches will pass it through, and the Cisco should be able to serve multiple MACs/IPs on the same port (unless configured otherwise for security).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

a 2950 is a switch not a router

I would have gone for another 2950 maybe the 48 port verson or another

24 port

As some one sugest a cheaper cascade switch one posibility would be to get 1900 second hand switches and put some of the hosts on those depends if they realy need 100 Mbs

Reply to
developers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.