Disable stacking 3com 4250T

Hi all,

We've bought a whole bunch of 3com 4250T 50 port switches. These have 48

10/100 ports, and 2 10/100/1000 uplink ports. At least that's what we thought before we bought them.

If you connect one of the uplink port to another 4250, the two form a stack, presumably sharing a switch db, etc. It's possible to connect upto 4 switches in this way. Unfortunately, I need to connect 5.

The original plan was just to connect these switches together into a ring, and have STP cope with the redundant loop and block one of the ports. I need to put a Cisco 3550 into the ring too, and have bought the relevant GBICs to do this. We could then survive a loss of one of the interconnect cables.

What I'd like to do is disable stacking on these switches altogether - we're not going to be doing any fancy management of the stack, I just want five independent switches which form a resilient ring.

Anybody know if this can or can't be done?

Cheers, Andy.

Reply to
Andy Lawson
Loading thread data ...

Spoke to 3com today, who say it is impossible to disable stacking.

The engineer suggested buying 4400 range switches, which stack up to 8, or back-revving the firmware to

Reply to
Andy Lawson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.