Cat 5e Telephone issues?

Alright I've read quite a few posts on these issues but I'm still a bit unsure of some key details. I'm currently building a house and I have ran all the cat5e for phone and data into a patch panel. Now I'm very fimilar with the data side of things but not the phone. So I have a couple questions that are pretty basic but I just want to be sure!

1. From the phone line outside the house should I connect it too my patch panel or into a 110 block or what? Can I simply connect a cat5e cable from my patch panel telco port to another switch or hub for my telco line? Then run the patch cables to the correct phone ports? I'm looking for the easiest and most efficient way.

1. I realize I'm going to run cat5 patch cables from my ethernet switch to all of my data ports but as for phone do I need to patch cables from a 110 block or what?

2. Also I need to be able to fax on atleast one line, just thought I should throw that in there.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
bigdeps
Loading thread data ...

Both of these are the same question as I read it.

There's lots of ways you could do it. You could do 110's and hard connect the wires together. Or there are patch cables that can come off 110 blocks.

I suspect more people use some sort of structured media system like from Leviton. This place has a good picture of it.

formatting link
Ie. this is designed for your voice and data to come in and get punched down on the left two and right two modules. You take patch cables from the data jacks up to your ethernet switch. You take small patch cables to go from your voice jacks to the middle module which bridges all the jacks together for your voice line. I assume it has the ability to do two seperate groups of lines or something by already having that little jumper cable on it.

There's probably easily a half dozen different varieties on the same thing from several manufacturers.

If at some future time you do a home PBX, instead of using the bridge module, you instead patch all your voice extensions direclty into the PBX. So its somewhat future proof.

No issue what-so-ever with that one.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

Some of the Home "Structured Wiring" solutions have phone modules which cross-connect everything to mimic a daisy-chain. You can do this if you don't mind plugs on solid.

Assuming you have separate phone & data runs, best punch all the phone runs down on a 110 block with incoming phone at one end. Then loop crossconnect over the tops to do the daisy chaining (or even swap line 1 & 2 around for a fax outlet). If you really want to go retro-cool, use a 66 and clips to incoming service looped down the other side. Easy to disconnect pesky teenagers.

No, not unless you install a PBX. Crossconnect does the daisy-chaining.

The alternative, if you punch everything down on the data patchpanel is to fabricate an "octopus" to daisy-chain the phones jacks.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Thanks for all the help already! I have a couple more questions tho... I realize there are tons of ways to set this up. I guess what I'm asking is what would be the best and easiest way of connecting a basic telephone system through out the house?

I have all my runs for data and phone into a patch panel. Data ports will be connected to the router. What would be the best way to set up the phones? I need some ideas here... Thanks guys!

Reply to
bigdeps

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Assuming Cat5e everywhere to patch.. From phone system; Either patch leads from ports on phone system to patch panel outlets leading to outlets in house. - Fine if a few ports / small system. Or, multi on punch-downs on switch to RJ45's on a patch panel. - Number of pairs, and which to connect to depending on switch. You could then just patch to 'where-ever'.

HTH, Philip Partridge

Reply to
Phil Partridge

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in part:

If you have it already punched down, forget the 110 and 66 blocks.

You basically have two choices for phone -- patch into a telephone module (made for home structured wiring boxes) or manufacture an octopus. Either way, use a distinctive color.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

The most straight forward way for the do it your self person is to visit Home Depot and get one of these:

formatting link
Then tie each of the CAT5 phone cables to a row on this block. Use the colors correctly.

Then tie your incoming lines to the block. Blue for line 1, Orange for #2, Green for #3, and Brown for #4.

You can mount this using stand offs, small blocks of wood, whatever.

This only works if you have a very simple setup but it ties all the lines together quickly.

David

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.