Cat Automation (not quite HA)

I've got a cat that likes to wander. (1-2 block range)

I try to get him inside before dark, but I don't always have any luck in finding him.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a small (he's only 10 lbs) transmitter that could be attached to his collar which could be used in locating him. I'd use something with a directional antenna, to at least determine the proper direction to go looking for him. (HAM bands ok. Been studying for my license for other reasons).

Any other ideas would also be appreciated (keeping him inside is not an option)

Reply to
AZWoody
Loading thread data ...

An invisible fence type device **might** be able to keep him in your yard.

Does a ham license allow you to have a remote transmitter that is constantly running with a data stream? That might make your cat REALLY UNWELCOME in the neighborhood.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Reply to
Dave Houston

The most practical thing is don't feed during the day so it will almost always be home on time for supper. There are a lot of small transmitter schemtics like below on the net. If you get a good working one, you could put it on a web site and be popular with others wanting to know where the cats dissapear to (I've thought about doing the same thing in the past). Definately should be mounted on a breakaway collar.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Reply to
Dave Houston

Probably not, as these seem to be better for critters than move along the ground. My back yard is surrounded by a 6' block wall, and from that, the cat can jump to my roof or the neighbor's roof. Plus, they use pain as the deturant, and if the cat get's outside the bounds, he may just run further away, and remain in pain.

I don't mind his he's out being a cat during the day - one of his favorite spots in under some shade in my neighbor's yard. He does come when I call, but the reall problem is finding which direction he's in, so I know the direction to head to call him..

Not really an issue. The Ham bands are outside the range of stuff that would interfere with "normal stuff". Also, the transmission, as I see it, wouldn't be a "constant data stream", as a transmission once every minute or two would not only work in this application, but would prolong battery life. An AM or FM band constant transmitter could cause problems if they are close to a broadcast band in the area, but tuning to that freq wouldn't work anyway.

Reply to
AZWoody

Actually, not really a solution for this guy. He's a cat - and hunting is his instinct. If the food bowl is empty in the morning, he'll go out and find a lizard, bird or mouse and chow down. (plus, his much older "fat cat" sister, won't leave me alone if she can see the bottom of the food dish!)

The thing is, that there are a few things where I live that will chow down on a cat, which is why I want to get him inside when it's dark!

Reply to
AZWoody

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.