ADSL over CAT-5e?

I'd recommend putting the filter in first, then running the separate phone and ADSL lines as needed. Another possibility, would be to put the ADSL modem near the line and then run ethernet from it, to where you need it.

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

I'm in the UK and I have an ADSL-enabled BT line coming in next to the patch panel for a Cat 5e cabled office. Can I extend the ASDL to another part of the office over the Cat 5?

I suppose I'd need by the patch panel a BT plug -> RJ45 conversion .. not sure how I would achieve this? Then at the other end, an RJ45 -> BT socket conversion, which is easy enough. Then I'd plug in the filter and the modem.

Would this work?

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

As per previous poster, yes. One option is to use a NET5 adapter from

formatting link
to get at the ADSL on its own and then wire this into your structural cabling.

To answer the other poster's questions, yes, the third "ring the bell" wire is still required. Almost nobody has structural cabling in our homes. People use various standards of telephone cable for phones. Typically this will carry the ADSL signbal as far as it needs to go.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

"John Carlyle-Clarke" kirjoitti viestissä news:Xns961468A292795johncceuroplacercouk@192.168.1.69...

Doesn't anybody in the UK use structural cabling for telephony?

Structural cabling = Using the same type of Cat-5 cable + RJ-45 sockets for telephone, Ethernet, whatever...

The telephone signal would go on the blue/white pair on pins 4 and 5. UK phones seem to use an extra wire for the ringer. Is this still in use in modern phones? Which pin/wire would this go on?

You only use a (low-pass) filter to block the ADSL high frequencies from reaching the POTS phones. For connecting a modem you do not need a filter

Yes. Cat-5e cable is just a better version of twisted-pair telephone cable. (The really interesting question is whether and when you can run 100 Mbps Ethernet over normal phone wires.)

(Copy to news:uk.telecom.broadband, follow-ups to news:comp.dcom.cabling.)

Reply to
Petri Krohn

"Petri Krohn" wrote in news:d0mscv$1h2e$ snipped-for-privacy@news.bbnetworks.net:

The telephony is done this way - there is an ISDN 2 line and a digital exchange. The ADSL line however just terminates on a standard BT master wall socket at the moment.

They do use this, but in a structured cabling environment, the splitting from 2 to 3 wires is usually done in an adapter between the RJ45 wall plate and the phone handset, if required.

The use of the filter would really be for jack compatibility. The filter also serves the purpose of converting between a BT type telephone socket and an RJ-11 socket which most ADSL modems require.

I thought this was true, but I didn't want to assume.

Thanks for your reply, and to the other posters too! A few different approaches to choose between..

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

You would think so, but in practice I've visited several sites where it could not be done, whether it was down to the quality of the patch leads they were using, the actual contractors standards (extremely doubtful in a least one instance) when building the network or what, I don't know but even though the attenuation did not suffer to any great extent there appeared to be noise issues, effectively blocking the ADSL signal.

On all occasions the problem was resolved by the customers using a router & then patching the Ethernet output from that thru their panels to give service to where it was required..

Reply to
kraftee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.