Workstation sees wireless router but can not connect

Have you tried changing WIFI channels? You may be getting interference from cell phones or other WIFI signals.

Reply to
Mike Rush
Loading thread data ...

The way your pinging goes it makes it obvious that something is wrong with getting the packets accross. All the connection attempting and sluggish behaviour is just a side-effect of that (Ethernet works in a way that it resends requests that fail to get across, so if the computer is retrying several hundred times every packet it sends, then the result is that it is either slow or just times out).

In the case of netwok cables, a wrong wiring, cable warped around a metal object, an overpowered network (as in... 30 volts instead of 20... this is more common in old telephone networks) or a screwed up cable will cause exactly the effect you describe. In the case of wireless interenet there are no cables thus it is only possible that this is radio interference or poor signal reception.

And if another computer gets signal okay, and the other acts like it doesn't I think a broken antena is to blame. A broken antena would cause the computer to get a much weaker signal.

Too much computer cables around the antena, inproper grounding, a metal cage of any form around the antena, audio speakers nearby or anything else that causes radio interference may also be to blame, check that first.

Reply to
Jure Sah

Yes. I changed it from 6 (Linksys default) to 1.

Reply to
Eugene F.

It wouldn't be cell phones, though cordless phones are a possibility.

Reply to
James Knott

My bet is on the wireless card. Try replacing it with the one of the other computer and try if it has the same effect.

There is nothing in software that could cause that effect and the problem is characteristic of poor network wiring.

Reply to
Jure Sah

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.