Wireless Routers and Cable Modems - Speed differences

Hi: I have a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem and a NetGear MR814 Wireless Router (802.11b) I also use a Compaq Laptop with built in wireless (802.11g)

When my computer is connected directly to the modem, I get around

650kb/sec download, but through the router only around 200

Any idea what might be the issue here? I am only 20 feet from the router and I tried it from 2 feet away.

Is it some kind of incompatibility between the g and b protocols? I upgraded the firmware on the router. I also tried to see what the download is at a hot spot, but the speeds there are slow, either through too many users or capping. I also tried to see what the downloads are at quiet times, say 4:30AM with no improvement.

Thanks,

Reply to
naftali
Loading thread data ...

OK, if 802.11b is the connection speed, then your theoretical maximum download speed would be just over 100kb/second. Most 802.11g equipment is backward-compatible with 802.11b equipment. So there is probably no incompatibility issue here. To me, it looks like everything is working great, in fact. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Well, I myself have seen download speeds higher than 200Kb/s on an 802.11b connection. With 11Mb/s connection speed, I'm not sure HOW that happens. (You're right, it doesn't compute.) But then who is going to complain about a connection that is too fast? :) I know some wi-fi manufacturers use various tricks to speed up wireless connections beyond standard specifications. I'm betting that some "tweaking" by the router manufacturer is responsible. :)

In any case, the OP has nothing to complain about. All is working fine, it would seem. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Non-duplex connection, perhaps?

Reply to
Warren

You probably mean 100 KB/second. Big difference between bits and bytes.

Except for the fact that throughput apparently drops by 2/3, from

650-something to 200-something, when the router is in the data path. Something seems to be up with that router. MTU setting? Firmware?
Reply to
Bill M.

Erm..."It does not compute."

Your theoretical maximum says 100kb/s for 11b. Remember chains and weakest links--or, I suppose 'channels and bottlenecks' would be better? He's using an 11b router, so your 100kb/s theoretical should apply to him. But he's actually getting 200kb/s! Howzat?

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.