are all cable modems external?

There are some internal cablemodems, but they aren't on most cable companies' lists of acceptable modems. They may be DOCSIS compliant, but that's only the first level of compatibility. The cable company has to be willing to support the modem with config files, and firmware updates. An internal cablemodem also has the disadvantages that it cannot be separately reset, and would also require OS-specific drivers. So even if the stars align, and your cable company allows any of the internal modems available, you'd be paying a high price just for cosmetic purposes.

Most OS's can also act as routers. Windows has Internet Connection Sharing, for example. With multiple NIC's, and the right software, it can be done -- just not well. The computer's primary purpose is to run applications, and while pre-emptive multitasking is a wonderful thing, it's not a great environment to be running network routing services at the same time. And if you have an undersized case, there probably isn't room for multiple NIC's.

The simple, consumer-level "broadband" router combines basic router capabilities, and provides a basic firewall as a side effect of using NAT. NAT means that each computer on your LAN has an internal IP address, and the only IP address that faces the rest of the world is the single, shared address of the router. Thus incoming packets need to be expected so they can be translated to the right internal node. A true firewall goes far beyond NAT, and would be a separate box. However, based on the questions you're asking, you are highly unlikely to be in a category that requires more firewall protection than a NAT router can provide.

There are cablemodem / router combinations, however they also have deficiencies that far outweigh any cosmetic reasons for wanting them in a single device.

If aesthetics are so important that you just can't have these boxes near your desk, Cat5 Ethernet cable can be up to 100 meters long, so you can always place your cablemodem and router in another room, and have nothing but the cable coming out of the wall.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

No, not ALL cable modems are external. I'm trying to find one that's internal (I'm looking at the Zoom 5001) that also works with linux. The zoom 5001 is DOCSIS 1.0 out of the box and can(I've heard) be upgraded to DOCSIS 1.1.

If you want to set it up in a computer you have to enable ip forwarding, probably NAT, and possibly a firewall and dhcp. This is why most plp go with external boxes - simplicity. That and the fact that external boxes seem to be the only thing supported by most cable providers.

Fitting the internal cable modem in a SFF case like a shuttle along with other NIC's is (theoretically) doable assuming you have enough PCI slots.

Good luck with this, I'm having a hard time figuring it out as well,

Cheers, David

Jen wrote:

Reply to
David

I'm new to cable internet access and am researching Modems. From these

discussions, the Motorola SURFboard 5100 modem seems pretty hot, and

Linksys seems to be good for its routers. I'm trying to keep my total

footprint very small (cute little Shuttle XPC), and wondered if there

even was such a thing as an internal cable modem, just as there is for

dial-up access.

Also, I need firewall hardware, not just the firewall software. Do I

need to buy a modem and router (only one PC needs access at a time) and

a firewall all separately, or are any of these manufactured in a

combined product?

Reply to
Jen

Those "routers" also contain a firewall.

Reply to
James Knott

Ummmm, DOCSIS compliant means the cable company can by definition support the unit with config files.

As for firmware updates....no, they don't.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

LOL. That is all good in the theoretical world but in the real world you will find that its not the case.

Reply to
Giles Harney

DOCSIS compliant means the modem meets a number of standards. The modem has or does certain things, and hasn't or doesn't do certain other things. There is a whole lot of room between the does and the doesn't, and quite a bit of that involves things that can be set within the config file. If the cable company is only setting generic settings, a generic config file could be sent to all the modems, and should work. But that's not the case for most cable companies. That's one of the reasons why after the recent upgrades some specific modems had problems: Features beyond the DOCSIS standard being accessed with the config files.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "no, they don't" regarding firmware updates. DOCSIS modem firmware updates are routinely pushed-out by the cable company. In most cases they can't be done from the user side of the modem, and even in the cases that they are, they can be rewritten from the cable company side. Some modems even have specific firmware updates for specific cable companies. Sometimes this goes hand-in-hand with certain parameters in the config file.

These are just some of the reasons why cable companies have lists of allowed modems that don't match the list of DOCSIS approved modems.

Reply to
Warren

Beg all you want. It doesn't change reality.

Reply to
Warren

You can buy a modem and router (with firewall and switch, even WiFI) in one box, but I don't recommend it. Unless space is a paramount consideration, it is better to have these items separate so that you can replace one without having to replace the other(s). I don't know your application, but a software firewall, like ZoneAlarm or Outpost Pro is more than adequate behind a router.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Oh, they CAN, which isn't quite the same as 'they WILL'.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

I beg to differ.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I beg to differ here, too.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.