wireless download speed

Hi Guys I was previously on VM 4mb broadband service, but was upgraded on monday to the 10mb service.

I use a Hp pavillion wireless laptop (2months old), and have the motorola sb5100 modem & netgear wgr614 v6 tw router.

After getting upgraded i ran various speed tests & downloading from the vm games sites, but was only getting around 500kb dl rate.(this was using my wireless conn) I was totally frustrated at this, as this is what i was getting on the 4mb service. After spending 2hours 40min tonight onto tec supp in india, who were with respect Utterly useless, i felt i was no further forward, and was even told at one stage, that Vm Did not support my internally built wireless broadcom connection Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

i have on the laptop. They also told me i needed a modem upgrade (VM/telewest suppled this modem 6 weeks ago).

After disc the router and going direct from the modem to the laptop via ethernet, I was getting around 1200kb dl rate, which what i was hoping for. Is it the case that i would not get this with this router, using the wireless connection? I also uninstalled the router + reinstalled but this did not help the speed issue

cheers in advance

tomDWireless

Reply to
Silvershadow68
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:17:05 GMT, "Silvershadow68" wrote in :

Your wireless speed may be slowed by interference. See the wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

"Silvershadow68" hath wroth:

Who is VM? I'm in the USA and have never heard of them.

What's a "tw" router?

Is that 500kbits/sec on 500KBytes/sec? If the latter, then you were getting 4Mbits/sec which is about what you should have originally been getting. Hint: Use all the same units, don't mix bits and bytes, and thou shalt not abrev.

Also, if this was done using a wireless connection, you can get a very rough idea of the thruput by simply taking the connection speed and dividing by two. For example, if your 2 month old HP Pavillion laptop connection manager says that you're connected at 24Mbits/sec, you would be getting no more than 12Mbits/sec thruput via the wireless. If you have a flakey wireless connection, this will limit your benchmarking. I suggest you temporarily use a CAT5 ethernet cable to benchmark the cable service and take the wireless out of the picture for now.

If nothing changed, it's highly likely that you did NOT successfully get transfered to the faster 10Mbits/sec service. It's not unusual for ISP's to upgrade the wrong account, or for such an upgrade to require that the equipment be power cycled before the higher speeds will work. In the case of a cable modem, the parameters have to be loaded via DHCP, which seem to require such a power cycle. One of my customer claimed that it took weeks to get the speed to increase. It seems she was using the on/off button on top of the SB5100 and not unplugging the cable modem. A power failure apparently finally solved the problem.

After 2 hours on the phone, I suspect that India should have been able to query the CMTS and obtain connection and performance statistics. Did you ask them to verify the account configuration? What manner of benchmark test did they ask you to perform?

That's not unusual. In California, SBC/at&t are still supplying Efficient 4100 DSL modems that have obsolete firmware and that require an upgrade on installation.

Granted, the problems it fixes only effect a small number of users, but it's still rather sloppy of them to ship old firmware. I think you'll find the problem epidemic in the fast moving networking hardware business.

That's possibly 9.6Mbits/sec. Ok, problem solved. Or, is there something else wrong?

I think you're asking if the wireless will slow you down. The answer is maybe. See the chart at:

These are the maximum thruput that you'll see with various wireless connection types. In order to obtain over 10Mbits/sec thruput, you'll need at least a 24Mbits/sec connection. Anything less and things will go slower.

Actually, there are other things that will slow down wireless. Interference and co-channel users cause your system to retransmit packets, thus slowing things down. The heavy use of filters, ACL's, and router rules can slow the router down. It's also possible that the router itself may not be able to handle the load. The WGR614 has not been benchmarked on the SmallNetBuilder site, but you can see by the chart that there are a few commodity routers that will not go faster than 10Mbits/sec:

See the WAN to LAN thruput numbers. Methinks the RP614 (7Mbits/sec max) might be similar, but I'm not sure.

What speed issue? I thought that said that you were able to obtain

9.6Mbits/sec after following the instructions from India. Is there something else wrong or did you forget to specify that the 9.6Mbits/sec was NOT while using a wireless connection? If so, you'll need to test the wireless connection seperately from the broadband connection. See my comments on using Iperf below.

Did you upgrade the firmware on the router?

formatting link
Did you upgrade the drivers, firmware, Windoze, and the kitchen sink on your new HP Pavillion laptop?

You might find it useful to benchmark just the wireless part of your network. Search this newsgroup for my previous rants on how to use the Iperf program:

You'll need a 2nd computer connected via CAT5 cable to your Netgear WGR614v6 router to do the test. The basic idea is to take the broadband modem and router out of the picture, and only test the wireless. If that's what I guess is slowing you down, it should be obvious from the results.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am on Mediacom cable, sold as 3Mbps, now advertised at 5Mbps with a

10Mbps option.

I have an SB5100 modem and a Netgear WGR614v4 router.

I have found many sites that throttle to 128, or 256, or somewhere around

400KBps. If I start more than one download from the same site, I can get higher rates, but those top out at an aggregate of 800KBps.

That might suggest that the router was maxing out. I get more from my WGR614, but it's a different model.

What about a wired connection through your router? Are there any other wireless devices? Maybe an 802.11b gaming adapter that you aren't using at the moment, but is connected to the router?

What does the Wireless connection report as it's current bandwidth, using perfmon.msc? Does that fluctuate during a download?

I don't know what you mean by that, other than plugging and unplugging.

I just checked my Netgear WG511 54Mbps WEP wireless connection. A single download from a well connected ftp site gave me 640KBpS. Running three or four of those simultaneously gave me 1000KBpS, according to perfmon.msc on Windows XP.

I disabled the wireless and ran the same test with a wired connection on the same laptop (Realtek RTL8139_810X), and I get 1001KBpS.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.