Using bittorrent for single PC-to-PC transfer?

Hi all,

I want to transfer a very large file from my home PC to the PC that I have with me on the road, but not share this file with 100000 other people.

Is this possible with bittorrent? I ask because my home cable provider Comcast is somehow blocking ftp and VPN. Or perhaps the blocking is on this end (on the road).

I suppose I would encrypt the crap out of this file before transferring it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rex
Loading thread data ...

Set up a 'private' ftp server on some innocuous port. I've been doing this for several years with family to transfer large files between Comcast addresses and between Comcast and other networks. Both parties need to set up ftp using the random port.

Alternatively, use your Comcast file storage as an intermediate host for your files - if the files are not too large. Upload from home via ftp to you storage. Set up a private web page with nothing more than the download link for web access while on the road.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Go to google and enter the search: "Free shell account"

You get a Unix user's shell with storage. You can login to the account and put the file there. When you get to wherever, transfer it to the other system. The upload will go at limited speed provided by your Comcast account. The transfer to the second machine will go at a very attractive speed.

Reply to
Ken

"Rex" wrote in news:1150438264.351458.170060 @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Yes, but you wouldn't receive any benefits from it--with one seed (the home computer) and one peer (the travelling computer), the transfer would go at the maximum upload speed of the seed. Azureus' built-in tracker/web server would work fine--just don't distribute the torrent, and no one else will be able to join the swarm.

As others have pointed out, an FTP on a random port would probably work better with less overhead. Or you could try

formatting link
if you only need to make the transfer once.

Reply to
Hop-Frog

You could setup an account with LogMeIn . It is a remote access service like PCAnywhere, but you get a free trial of the PRO version for 30 days. The PRO version includes unlimited file transferring as well as a bunch of other stuff. After the 30 days, you can either continue with the PRO (subscription) or scale back to the basic (free). With the free, you get unlimited remote access and a few other things. The service works great. I have used it several times over the past year or so.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Rex wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

What to you is a "very large file" ?

Reply to
Dr Feelgood

Oh, 500 megabytes or so.

Reply to
Rex

I should mention an anomaly..

that my Comcast cable modem's IP address doesn't exist. At first I thought it was the ISP, but then I tried to use public traceroute services to trace to that IP address, and they always hang. I got that address by having someone use netstat to get it, but also by having them go to myipaddress.com. It seems like a legit IP.

Reply to
Rex

Just burn on a CD if its only that large, every computer now how a CD burner and cd rom.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Not very large files can according to this

formatting link

Reply to
Dr Feelgood

I would say that there are some cheap web hosters and setting up a site can be a great thing to do for more than just what you want to do as you mentioned.

formatting link

Reply to
Dr Feelgood

What are the first two octets?

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

"Rex" wrote in news:1150488959.014208.293380 @h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Just use yousendit.com. Upload once, they send an email with a unique URL, you retrieve the email while traveling, and download the file. You can transfer it back by doing the same thing again. You only have a few days to retrieve the file, and you can't retrieve it twice, but it should easily work for you. Works for files up to 1GB, and it's free.

Reply to
Hop-Frog

Any of the remote desktop solutions will allow you to transfer files back and forth. I use UltraVNC, which is free, configurable for any port and available for most platforms (based on the AT&T system)

formatting link
Ultra VNC has the advantage of having free encryption, although it was a little tricky to set up. Be ready to read the howto and help files. However, once it gets going, I have no trouble connecting via just about any connection out there.

Reply to
Eric

Try using the latest version of File Share Pro. Very easy to set-up and use. Many torrents available. With Comcast, I get great transfer speeds and file size is virtually unlimited.

Reply to
Monster 2269

Any transfer over the net is likely to be slower than burning a CD...

Reply to
anthonyberet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.