WRT54G problems

Hi Yuri,

You may wish to investigate the Linksys Knowledge Base:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
tzar

Hi, Suppose it was discussed but I just now found this group ... Two problems with my Linksys WRT54G:

1. Lost connection From time to time it lost connection. Looks like it happened when no traffic present. There is no problem to download big file from Internet. Only during pause.

1. Transferring big files over WLAN When I tried transfer large file from one PC to another, after short time throughput falls dramatically and OS report connection error. There is no problem with small (

Reply to
Yuri Belenky

"tzar" wrote in news:rUd5e.6566$6k4.820876 @news20.bellglobal.com:

Interesting suggestion, and worth investigating, but if you are using Windows XP SP2 I would recommend disabling all of the connection managers and using the native Wireless Zero Connection service that is built in.

Disable firewalls (ZoneAlarm, McAfee, et al.)

Interference problems perhaps? 2.4ghz phone, microwave, any other machinery near in the area?

A little more info as to hardware / software specifications on your machine would be helpful.

Reply to
The Chairman

That's a typical problem with that specific device.... There is an update for that specific devices firmware at the linksys website

formatting link
on Firmware (right side) (you will see a page that says) Firmware Upgrade For

WRT54G - Wireless-G Broadband Router v2

Firmware Date : 1/3/2005 Firmware File Size : Varies Firmware Version : 3.03.6 Click here to download the firmware upgrade files.

Click here to download the Auto Upgrade Utility.

Click here to view the Version Information File.

============================ That fixes dropped connection problems, most noticable under XP SP2. Chances are, that even if you bought it in the last 3 months, it was made/shipped before the upgrade was done at the factory. Consider doing it.. What the heck, it's free

PS, other products don't have that specific problem with the firmware, but that specific model (wrt54g) was updated about 3 months ago.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hmmmm.. From your second symptom

1. Transferring big files over WLAN When I tried transfer large file from one PC to another, after short time throughput falls dramatically and OS report connection error. There is no problem with small (
Reply to
Peter Pan

Since this only happens during no-activity-periods, I suspect that it may be your ISP that is canning the connection. There is a "keep-alive" function in the router; maybe you should enable it.

Reply to
D. Stussy

I've upgraded firmware from original (3.03.something but not 6) to the HyperWRT 2.1b1, it is 3.03.6 based. It is working now much stable, but still sometimes happened. "Big files" problem doesn't solved at all.

Thank you, Yuri.

P.S. The configuration is: XP Pro, SP1, WMP54G (two desktops), Intel 2200BG (laptop).

Reply to
Yuri Belenky

OK. Thanks for idea with the QoS. I'll check and report. Yuri.

Reply to
Yuri Belenky

Does this problem occur only when notebook is in battery mode?

There is an incompatibility issue between the power saving mode of

2200BG and some wireless routers causuing drop outs.

Intel says it is a router issue not a 2200BG issue!

formatting link

The workaround is to turn the default powersaving feature of the 2200BG

off.

Reply to
ocular

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.