Update on Comcast "Gold" Network Upgrades

Well - Comcast upgraded the network recently - so basic Silver service is

4000/384 and Gold is 6000/768 ($10 / month more).

Many people who had Gold were not getting the speeds they were supposed to. Comcast came back and said it was a limitation of older modems.....below is the post from Comcast on the Comcast Help Forums. A tech over the phone told me that the Surfboard 4100 is not taking the DOCSIS 1.1 upgrade. I have a Surfboard 4100 - which is supposed to be DOCSIS 1.1 Certified. I did not get the Gold speeds - so I dropped to Silver until I can find a deal on a "supported" cable modem. Here are the Surfboard 4100 specs ...

formatting link
... that shows download speeds of up to 34 mbps and is DOCSIS 1.1 Certified.

Somehow - you think this would have been tested before a mass rollout - no?

Here is the link to all the supported modems -

formatting link
and the Surfboard 4100 is on it - so it seems like they are odds with each other....

"To all,

Some older modems may not be able to get the top speeds with the latest speed upgrades. Below is a list of these modems and the maximum download speed they are capable of achieving. If you are currently using one of these modems, you will need to upgrade to a newer modem in order to achieve these new higher speeds. Please note that some of these modems are capable of attaining the Silver speed at the 4Mbps speed but will not achieve the 6Mbps of the Gold tier of service.

Modem Modem Max Download Brand Model (Mbps)

----------------------------------------- Motorola SB3100 4.9 Motorola SB4100 4.9 Terayon ECM615 3.8 Terayon ECM715 4.4 Thompson (RCA) DCW615 5.4

If you are currently leasing one of these modems from Comcast, these modems can be exchanged for a newer modem - please contact a customer support representative through Live Chat or at 1-800-COMCAST for assistance with exchanging these modems.

If you currently own one of the above modems, you can continue using this modem but the Max Download speeds shown are an indication of the top speed you will achieve with these modems. In order to achieve the higher speeds of the Gold tier of service, you will need to upgrade to a newer modem or contact Comcast support to inquire about leasing a modem."

Reply to
riggor9999
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

The Surfboard 4100 also had a problem (may have been fixed) with upload speed. I had to have mine replaced by the cable company in order to get

256kbps upload speeds.
Reply to
Ron Hunter

Under Gold - I was getting 768 up without any problems, but I was never getting the download speeds...I was averaging 3500 down.

Reply to
riggor9999

As I recall, that was the figure in the specs for the modem. I believe there was a firmware update to fix the upload speed problem, but the tops speed was not adequate for the newer speeds available these days.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

I have a Surfboard 5100 modem with Gold Tier, and have not been able to download above 4300 kbps, and often not above 3000 kbps...upload speed is fine. My SB5100 should be fine for the new speeds, so I think Comcast has other problems starting with the head end (since my pings to comcast.net will vary in speed all the time).

Reply to
Richardson

The download speed from the specification you site is: Symbol Rate . 64 QAM 5.069 Msym/s Symbol Rate . 256 QAM 5.361 Msym/s

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.