Microsoft Networking through Cisco routers

I need a little assistance understanding how it is technically done as I am an aspiring Cisco Networking Engineer. I worked for a community library and we of course were connected to our branch libraries. On any conencted Windows computer on the network, you were able to browse to other machines from the other branch libraries and able to access their shares and whatnot.

Can someone explain to me how is this done exactly or help me in the right direction? I have a home lab that I have set up with a 2514 and two windows computers on either ethernet device. If I type in ComputerB's IP address from ComputerA I can browse his shares, but if I try to just blindly browse for other networks or other clients on the network I cannot see the other computer.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Morgan

Reply to
Steve Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
emekadavid

To be able to broswer to resources across a router you are going to need either Active Directory with DNS or setup centralized WINS servers.

Reply to
Freeride

You want what I guess are 2 different services / servers. File and printer sharing and Netbios over tcp/ip (aka netBT)

if you want to browse, you need F n P, AND NetBT.

F n P, you have on already, it's startable form the properties of your Network Connection in win xp.

NetBT usually goes on when F n P is installed, but it can be disabled. You want to enable it. The setting for it is in a funny place. It's in the TCP/IP propeties, WINS settings. You know, network connection settings, tcp/ip properties, advanced, wins. You can always search for "enable netbios over tcp/ip".

F n P uses port 139 or 445. something like that NetBT uses 137-139 (135 is RPC, it's not NetBT 'cos i've found it still there even when disabling NetBT)

Daniel Petri has a good article google daniel petri file and printer sharing 445 139

formatting link
's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.