AT&T Wants DSL Customers On U-Verse? [telecom]

AT&T has put up its new high-speed Internet terms of service for 2011 at

formatting link
What's gotten most of the press lately are the new limits on monthly traffic (150G for DSL, 250G for U-verse). What caught my eye, though, was section 2.e., which is also new:

------------------- When AT&T is able to provision Service to you via our U-verse High Speed Internet at your location, we may, in our discretion, discontinue your DSL service and make available to you AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet at the then applicable rates, terms and conditions, which may differ from your previous DSL Service rates, terms and conditions (including bundle discounts). If you are on a term plan and your price will increase as a result of this conversion, you will not have to pay any applicable ETF if you elect to cancel service.

Your new AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet will require different customer premises equipment ("CPE"). When you are selected for conversion, we will provide at least thirty days' notice of the discontinuation of your service via e-mail. Thirty days after such notice, we may at our sole discretion, either disconnect your service or temporarily suspend your service for up to fifteen days before we permanently discontinue service. -------------------

I have no idea if this is there for convenience "just in case" they decide they don't want to provide DSL anymore when U-verse is available, or if this is the beginning of a DSL phase-out. I do know that one of the reasons I keep DSL is that nice CO-powered wire that stays active even when a big storm takes away our electricity for a week, something only the phone company can provide. If they take that away, suddenly their competitors start to look a lot more enticing.

John C. Fowler, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
John C. Fowler
Loading thread data ...

I did not see the part about forcing U-verse, but the area i'm located has U-verse all around, but our cable is so old that it can't handle it; they tried. If and when they do switch and if the price it a lot more then I'll just start using my Sprint Overdrive which in my area just went 4G.

On a subject about the cable, when it rains things go out, they have tried to fix it, but local managers have said the cable is in very bad shape. I complained to Corporate; after being switched all over the company to wrong people for over an hour, when you tell them you will take your business elsewhere, their answer we are sorry to see you go; as of 2 weeks nothing has been done. The California PUC is useless.

Reply to
Steven

What powers your DSL modem when the power at your premises is out for a week?

Reply to
Sam Spade

Mine runs off a 12V gel-cell, although it turns out the batteries in the SLC run out after about four days and then DSL and POTS service goes out anyway.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.