Router port light is always on

I have a netgear router with four ports, usually the port (1-4) usually lights up only if one of my four computer is on... but i noticed that port 1 which is my main computer... the port light in my router is always on even when (1) computer is off... it wasn't like that before... i know its not my router... cuz i hav 2 routers and tested it... its d same... so is there somthing wrong w/ my cat 5 cable? or NIC ? i do get internet connection from it btw...

1. (Wireless)Netgear MR814 v2 (main)
  2. Belkin Router (extra)

Windows XP home service pack 2

Reply to
franciz3
Loading thread data ...

It's possible your NIC is powered up even when the computer is turned off. Nothing wrong with it. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

how do i change it??? ... cuz it wasnt like that before....

Reply to
franciz3

Why bother changing it? If the computer is off, then the NIC can't do anything. At least not by itself. It's adding maybe 1/10th of a penny to your yearly electric bill. But if it really bothers you for some reason, enter your computer's BIOS setup screens and see if you can find a "wake on LAN" option and disable that. Don't know if that will help or not, but it won't hurt. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.