Router/ADSL2 Modem Configuration Question

I got a router/adsl2 modem from my isp.

If I just get a ADSL2 modem without a router, can I forget about all this router configuration stuff.

I don't need a router as I only have 1 pc. thanks in advance Jimbob

Reply to
jboriii
Loading thread data ...

Says who ? That router will give you a NAT firewall and help to protect your computer plus give you the option of adding wired or wireless PCs in the future. $30 (after rebate) will pick you up a Netgear/Linksys wireless router with 4-port switch and give you some decent protection.

Keep the router as a separate piece of hardware rather than combining.

Reply to
$Bill

| I got a router/adsl2 modem from my isp. | | If I just get a ADSL2 modem without a router, can I forget about all | this router configuration stuff. | | I don't need a router as I only have 1 pc. | | thanks in advance | Jimbob

JimBob:

This is a Cable Internet News Group.

For future posts, you want; comp.dcom.xdsl For DSL hardware discussions.

To add to the security of a NAT Router, I always suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

I also want to state that Router/modems can be placed in Bridge more or Router mode and it is preferrable to place it in Router mode.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.