renewing the ip address

Folks, I have had a home network for years and am recently encountering a problem. I am running two Dells, one with XP home and one with XP Pro. I connect to Comcast via a Lynksys router. Recently, one PC has begun intermittently losing the connection (apparent when I try to open a link in a new browser window and get the page not found screen) and the second, which is running XP Pro loses the IP address every night and must be rebooted to renew the address. Any idea what the deal is? Why does one lose the IP address while the other doesn't? This is getting incredibly annoying.

thanks much,

Zenon

Reply to
zenonk
Loading thread data ...

Well, you've got two separate problems that probably aren't related to each other. But the first thing I would do is power-cycle the router. Also, either from the system tray icon, or from the system properties, "Repair" the connection for the XP Home machine.

As for the XP Pro machine, losing the IP address each night sounds like you may be running a firewall with settings too strict. So strict that DHCP isn't functioning right. Double-check your firewall settings. And make sure you aren't running both a third-party firewall, and the SP2 firewall at the same time.

Reply to
Warren

I got the same issue happening with windows XP machine. My other computers don't have this issue. I resolve by powercycling Linksys router and doing a repair on the network connection for the XP machine. This is a recent occurance. Could one of the XP updates have caused this? (this is the only recent chnage to this machine.)

Reply to
Flack

Thanks for the help, suggestions, I appreciate it. I was unable to fix the XP Pro machine, evern after disabling the firewall completely. even after power cycling the router and modem, and rebooting the computer, I still was unable to repair the connection. I ended up backing up the important data on the hard drive and reinstalling windows... now it works like a champ.

Reply to
zenonk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.