Changing static IP to dynamic

To what end? Hide from your previous connections?

In short, unless the ISP configures the network to supply you with different addresses there's no way to just switch it around on your end. Routing won't work otherwise.

Reply to
wkearney99
Loading thread data ...

Kinda sums it up, but it's not exactly that.

Verizon provided a Westell Versalink router with a fixed IP address. I've always had a dynamic one, even when I had Verizon DSL before.

How can I go back to having a dynamic IP? I take it the IP I'm seeing is assigned to this modem by Verizon or some other party. There is no way to change this addy in the modems settings, either. Seems the software has been customized to prevent this as I can't access all features under http://dslrouter as the user manual says I should.

So, in short, looking to go back to the good old days of having a different address at each logon.

Suggestions? TIA. ``` Remove remove to mail me. Thank you.

Reply to
Jhm7057

Its very unlikely you would be able to do anything on your side to override what the ISP is handing you out.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

It is not clear which IP you are seeing, PPPoE IP, router LAN IP, or IP assigned to your PC? The latter 2 do not matter, since they are private (behind NAT). And I doubt if they give everyone a static PPPoE IP (unless a static or business account).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Kinda helps with the Quake TF kickbans for TK. ;)

``` Remove remove to mail me. Thank you.

Reply to
Jhm7057

It is not clear which IP you are seeing, PPPoE IP, router LAN IP, or IP assigned to your PC? The latter 2 do not matter, since they are private (behind NAT). And I doubt if they give everyone a static PPPoE IP (unless a static or business account).

I believe it's the IP assigned to my router itself. Looks like this is typically done via the router's software but Verizon has disabled/removed that user option.

``` Remove remove to mail me. Thank you.

Reply to
Jhm7057

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.