accessing an ADSL dynamic IP from the internet?

You normally have to configure your router to direct inbound traffic on a listed port towards a certain machine.

Likely not if it isn't your config error but your ISP has done it. If they've given you a private IP like 10.*.*.* or 192.168.*.* then you are out of luck -- links have to be initiated from your home end. Likewise, if they've filtered inbound connects on their routers, you will have to get them to disable it for you.

You may not realize this request is rude. Post here, read here.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier
Loading thread data ...

Roger wrote on 8/23/2004 3:49 PM:

Scramble IPs? You need to set up your router to direct that public IP to an internal private IP based on application, protocol or port (range).

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have just subscribed to an ADSL provider (in Belgium), which gives me a dynamic IP.

I want to point a fixed host name to my IP, such as with DynDNS.org, or even just access the IP directly so that I can use my home machine as a server.

When I test from my own PC, it all works fine, my WAN IP is recognised. However when I try and access my WAN IP from outside my LAN it is not recognised, I get a "Page Not found error".

I thought the whole point of an IP is that it is a precise network address from which the machines location can be unequivocally identified.

Is it possible that my provider has managed to "scramble" IPs so that outside calls to the IP just get lost? Is there any way round this?

Thanks in advance....

If possible also answer by email to snipped-for-privacy@sirocos.com

Reply to
Roger

In illo tempore "Roger" discipulis suis dixit:

I don't think is possible at all unless you request a fix IP @ to your ISP.

ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY

Reply to
ARIEL BOLUDOVSKY

Errm, it's now working, I don't no why, I didn't change anything but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for all your help. Roger

Reply to
Roger

I hope you do realize that your assigned IPA may change in the future ??? That is why it is called "dynamic". You will always have an IP address but it won't necessarily always be the same one.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

My MTA on a dynamic IP address says otherwise.

Reply to
NormanM

That is why there are dynamic DNS providers.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.