Connecting two internal networks to internet via cable modem

I need assistance in figuring the following network connectivity problem.

Configuration Info: Internet Cable Modem/RouterSymantec 300 F/WDell Switch Desktop PCs/Server (Network 1)

Also connected directly to the Cable Modem/Router is a DLink Wireless Router which is accessed by another independent group of computer users, all wireless users. (Network 2) (Network 2 is a new addition as of today)

The Ambit Cable Modem/Router from Charter has one cable connection port (for inbound cable) and four Ethernet ports in the back. The DLink Wireless Router and the Symantec firewall appliance are connected to two of the four Ethernet ports.

Cable Modem service is from Charter with a static IP.

Network 1 (desktops) is an internal network with IP in the

192.168.0.xxx range and an internal gateway of 192.168.0.4 with DHCP services provided by the Symantec Firewall appliance (192.168.0.4)

Network 2 (wireless) is an internal network with IP in the

192.168.1.xxx range and internal gateway of 192.168.1.4 with DHCP services provided by the DLink Wireless router (192.168.1.4)

Network 1 does not need to see anyone on Network 2 nor access any resources on Network 2. The reverse is also true.

Problem: Internet connectivity is sporadic to rare on both networks when they are both connected to the cable modem. If the D-Link router (and thus the entire Network 2) is disconnected from the cable modem, the desktop network works fine. If the Symantec firewall is disconnected from the Cable modem (and thus the entire Network 1), the wireless network is better. When both are connected, internet connection for the wireless users as well as the desktop users is limited to rare. Interestingly, I can ping the Static IP address provided by Charter from both internal networks without any lost packets when both networks are connected to the Cable modem. I can also connect to internal interface for the DLink router and the Symantec firewall without any problems. I can ping the internal gateway addresses on each network without any problems. I can also tracert to the static IP from both networks when they are both connected to the Cable modem (although tracert is slow and has a few to many timeout requests).

I would appreciate any suggestions/ideas on what might be the cause of poor connectivity and how it can be fixed. I am wondering if the Cable modem is performing some type of routing between the two networks as evidenced by the slow tracert/timeouts. I will add that Charter tech support remotely connected to the modem and advised that no routing is being performed on the Cable modem..

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers Subbarayudu

Reply to
sdarisi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.