Comcast - SMTP problems?

Anyone else having SMTP problems with Comcast? Sometimes a message goes out immediately, other times it hangs until timeout, or maybe gets sent after hanging for 1-2 minutes (these are all very short messages with no attachments).

If there are several messages in the queue, sometimes none of them will go, other times the first 1 or 2 will go immediately, then it will hang at the 3rd message. This has been going on for the past week or so.

I'm using Pegasus email software, have the server set to smtp.comcast.net at port 25. Tried OE, same problems.

If I shut down Pegasus and restart it, usually a couple more messages will go out before it hangs again.

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

Same problem here - North Jersey

Reply to
Me

I believe it is a virus/spam throttle feature. :(

My postfix logs shows

relay=smtp.comcast.net[216.148.227.125], delay=2, \\ status=deferred (host smtp.comcast.net[216.148.227.125] \\ refused to talk to me: 450 too frequent connects from \\

24.1.212.248, please try again later.)

Then my MTA postfix on Mandrake linux will delay and try again to finish sending the messages to the people on my humor email list (26 people)

Reply to
Bit Twister

It would help if you guys would post the exact and entire error message. And one of the stickies at the top of the Comcast Email Forum (accessible from the Service Center on Comcast.net) lists some of the most common problems reported and their solutions. FYI, enabling SSL on the SMTP side and reconfiguring the ports properly seems to help.

mady

Reply to
mady

Thanks Mady. I'm signed in at Comcast, but when I try to use any of the forums, I get message: The connection was refused when attempting to contact forums.comcast.net. :(

Reply to
Steve

My co-worker and I had the same SMTP problem with Comcast, but when I call Tech Support for help, they told me that they didn't support Microsoft products. I have Outlook Pro 2003. They directed me to their web-based email. So instead, I set my Comcast email address to forward to my Gmail account. Google has got one hell of an email interface brewing in BETA!

I have another problem though...

I have Comcast cable internet. I have Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2004 with firewall and anti-virus software on a Windows XP Professional operating system. I do NOT have the SP2 update or firewall installed on my PC.

On a daily basis, I have to go through the same and exact following steps to RE-connect to the internet:

(1) Disable my Norton Internet Security. (2) Unplug the power cord to my Motorola cable modem. (3) Plug the power cord back into my cable modem. (4) Test a webpage in my IE v6 browser. (5) Enable my Norton Internet Security.

Question: How do I configure my Norton Internet Security to prevent this inconvience? Is Comcast refreshing my IP address daily, so that is causing the problem? Have other customer experienced this error?

Thanks, Wes Richmond, VA, USA

Reply to
Wes Royer

I know they have been in the process of upgrading the forum servers and a message was posted about that, so keep trying.

Btw, did you try enabling SSL?

mady

Reply to
mady

Exact same thing started happening to us. My wife and I suddenly started having problems SENDING email about a week ago. Receiving was NOT a problem. It would take forever, no error messages, just take a couple minutes and then eventually would always go thru. We have made no changes to our systems, at least none we can remember, no new programs, SP2 was installed a long time ago.

Then I read a post in the Comcast help forums and this poster said that Comcast had made a change to one of its servers or something like that. He/She said that we now have to include brackets < > around our email addresses to send them. So we started doing that; works like a dream, now all of our emails go flying out of here.

But this raises two questions: 1. why were Comcast customers not notified of this change; 2. in Outlook Express, how do we add brackets to all of our addresses contained in our Address books; we've tried but OE doesn't seem to like them, they always disappear. BTW, we were having this problem with both OE and Thunderbird. Both work now that we include the address in brackets which we NEVER had to do before.

Thank you very much,

Acadia

Reply to
Acadia

wow.... what the________

Is this true?!

Where are you located?

Reply to
Parev

According to the mods, no changes were made to SMTP.

Reply to
Spector

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.