Charter speed upgrade problem -- and solution

Toward the end of last year, Charter sent out letters informing customers that unless we agreed to pay the increased fee for 3Mbps service, our 2Mbps service would be downgraded to 384Kbps as from January 1. (This is in W. MI. I have no idea whether similar changes occurred elsewhere.)

I called Customer Service and agreed to pay the higher rate, and the guy said, "OK. I've reprovisioned the modem. Just turn the cable modem off and on again, and you'll be all set." This I did, and had no occasion to try any large downloads until yesterday, when I discovered that I was getting a little less than 384Kbps.

Today I called Tech Support, and they could see that the modem was still running at 384Kbps.

To cut a long story short, they said it can take up to 5 minutes for a provisioning change to take effect, and the guy I talked to back in December should have waited until the change kicked in before having me cycle the power on the modem.

All is now well, and I'm getting a credit for the difference between the service for which I was paying and the service I was getting.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.