Charter's new services(?) and pricing

About a year ago, having moved to Michigan, I signed up for Charter's top-level Internet service -- 2Mbps (or perhaps it was only 1.5Mbps -- I no longer recall, but I know it was a lot less than the 10Mbps I had with Optimum Online in NY) for $39.99 a month.

A few weeks back, Charter changed newsgroup providers, and the speed and retention plummeted. To make matters worse, yesterday I received the following letter:

"December 1, 2004

Dear Charter Communications Customer,

On November 1, 2004 Charter introduced new service levels and a new pricing structure for our high-speed Internet service. The high-speed Internet service you currently receive is no longer offered. Our new offerings are:

384k service: $39.99 a month 3MB service: $49.99 a month

In order to receive the highest residential speed available, please call today and subscribe to our 3MB package. This package includes parental e-mail controls, junk mail filters, 10 mailboxes and Internet security software. If you wish not to subscribe to this package, your account will automatically be moved to the 384k service for $39.99 a month, effective January 1, 2005."

Then follows propaganda about an Internet/TV combo package with rate guaranteed for a year and the bit about getting $10 a month off Internet service with cable TV service.

Note: if they really do offer 3MB service, that would be good, but I suspect that they mean 3Mb (i.e., 3 MegaBITS/sec. not 3 MegaBYTES/sec.)

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy
Loading thread data ...

You should look into DSL. I know in our area, DSL 1500/256 is being offered for $30/month. I don't believe that is promotional pricing, it is priced to compete with cable modem. You will find this speed level to be equal to what you currently have as far as web browsing and downloads go. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Yes, the service is 3mbps (bits/second) and this works out to a download speed of about 375kB/s, which isn't bad. So far service has been reliable in my area (Fort Worth, Tx), and the upload speed doubled to

256kbps at the same time. Since I already have digital TV service as well, the price didn't change.

Since TW/RR has raised their speeds again, I hope Charter will do so agains as well in areas such as ours where the infrastructure is adequate to the higher speeds.

As for the newsreader service, it sucks, but then it always HAS. You might try Giganews.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.