x10 basics--noob question

ok, i have a pull cord light above my kitchen sink that I need to replace with a regular light fixture that needs to be controlled by a switch. the problem is that I can't get into the wall to access the wiring to make the switch work properly. somewhere along the way, someone told me that I could overcome this problem by using an x10 switch module to control the new light fixture.

so my question is: will x10 work for me in this application? if so, what components will I need and how do they install? i have found this product

formatting link
but don't know if it is what I need. is there something that will need to go on the light itself? i'm confused and haven't really found any good websites that address my specific questions.

thanks in advance,

TB in Austin

Reply to
T.B.
Loading thread data ...

there is no wall switch for the light above the sink. only the pull chain.

this looks like what i need. thanks for clearing that up.

Reply to
T.B.

Need a bit more info please. Do I have this right? You have a light above the sink that works now using a pull chain from the light fixture. So there is power to the fixture. Is there a switch for that fixture already in place but broken or no switch for the fixture anywhere, except for the pull chain? If there's no wall switch now then you could use the following 3 items to do what you want to do. These are all from

formatting link
formatting link
This goes in the fixture. Screw it into the bulb socket and scre the bulb into it.
formatting link
This switch simply sticks on the wall and can controll up to 3 lights with Dimming control.
formatting link
This plugs into any convenient outlet and relays the signal from the switch to the fixture module.

Reply to
brobin

From what I gather, you need an inline module such as:

formatting link
This could be mounted into the junction box above your current pullswitch fixture. Below this, you would mount whatever standard light fixture you wnat. Then to control this receiver, you need to have a transmitter somewhere. X10 sells transmitters that look like wall switches. I don't know much about them.

Craig

Reply to
ceedub

if i did purchase this inline module and install it in the J Box, would it just control the one fixture above the sink, or could I use it in the future to control other lights, etc?

Reply to
T.B.

It would control only that fixture. Basically, you're putting the switch in the jbox instead of at the bulb with the socket rocket.

Reply to
brobin

I would avoid the LM15A for this 'base-up' application. There have been several reports of failures wherein the heat from the bulb melts the adhesive used to hold the socket and the socket and bulb fall out. I would only use these in lamps where the base is down (as shown on the LM15A web page).

The older, screw->Need a bit more info please. Do I have this right? You have a light above

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave, Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn't heard about that issue. I only have one and it's mounted sideways in a vent hood so I haven't had the problem. I also only use a 40 watter in there so that probably helps too.

Reply to
brobin

Someone posted here about going downstairs to their basement and finding light bulbs shattered on the floor.

formatting link
It may have merely been a poorly mixed a batch of the adhesive. X-10 may since have fixed it or may have 'unfixed' the older, dimmable screw-in module but it's something to be aware of.

I have >Dave, Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn't heard about that issue. I only

Reply to
Dave Houston

Addendum:

I checked >Someone posted here about going downstairs to their basement and finding

Reply to
Dave Houston

try this out:

formatting link

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.